Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Escitalopram

(9 Posts)
CantGetNoSleeeeeeep Fri 13-Oct-17 10:22:49

I'm on citalopram and after 18 months all of my anxious and depressive symptoms have resurfaced. Reached a peak this week with my mum being diagnosed with lung cancer. Just seen the GP and he's given me Escitalopram at equivant dose, to increase in 2 weeks. Anyone else have experience with this drug good or bad?
It was me who wanted a med change rather than just increase the dose as I have felt decreasing efficacy over the last 3-6 months having been on citalopram for 18 months.
Feeling anxious (nothing new there then!) that 8 should have just gone up on the citalopram I was on, and that I'm making things hard for myself! I
I've read that Escitalopram is similar to citalopram but has a reduced side effect profile.... I hope!

CantGetNoSleeeeeeep Fri 13-Oct-17 10:23:31

I not 8

AuntyElle Fri 13-Oct-17 10:36:13

I'm really sorry you have this bad news about your mum. It's especially hard with anxiety already. I'm on escitalopram. I've never been entirely sure of the difference from citalopram. But I think they both have relatively low side-effect profiles.
Try for the moment to trust that changing the exact medication gives you a chance of it being more effective. That's a postitive. And you have the increase of dose in hand as well. flowers

KoalaD Fri 13-Oct-17 10:41:42

I've been on escitalopram quite a while. I suggest not letting them increase the dosage too high, or side effects can kick in (IME, everyone different).

I'm taking 20 mg daily; 30 mg had me feeling like a zombie.

CantGetNoSleeeeeeep Fri 13-Oct-17 22:45:00

Thanks both, took my first one tonight.. here goes, thanks for your kind words

AuntyElle Fri 13-Oct-17 22:54:02

smileflowers

KoalaD Sat 14-Oct-17 01:36:59

Let us know how you get on, or PM me any time if you want to compare notes. cake

CantGetNoSleeeeeeep Sat 21-Oct-17 13:22:03

HeY! So I’m a week in, still on 5mg. Felt extra anxious first couple of days now just feel depressed and exhausted. I remember things get worse before they get better but guess I’m just looking for reassurance. Zero motivation which is really unlike me. I hope once the side effects settle this isn’t permanent?! Going up to 10mgs on Wednesday night as I’ll have my DH around for the long weekend.
I keep thinking that the escitalopram is making me feel like this abdvive made a mistake in changing from citalopram.... that’s the anxiety talking though isn’t it?!

CantGetNoSleeeeeeep Wed 25-Oct-17 15:19:48

I increased the dose to 10mg last night, feel spaced out today and can’t eat sad
I remember this from last time, what I’m worried about is that I won’t be sharp enough, my memory recall is shocking. How long until I feel better?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now