Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Morning anxiety and propranolol

(11 Posts)
Sunshine4677 Wed 11-Oct-17 10:28:07

Hi all,

I'm currently experiencing anxiety as soon as I wake. I feel nervous and jittery and my doctor has prescribed me propranolol 40mg. Has anyone used this? I'm scared to take one to be honest as not sure it will help and hear it slows down the heart?

What are your opinions on propranolol and did it help with anxiety like mine?

Thanks x

PoptartPoptart Wed 11-Oct-17 12:37:57

Bumping because I'm in the same position

Meow34 Wed 11-Oct-17 12:39:52

I take propranolol 40mg in a morning, ideally take it before you get out of bed. If not I end up feeling jittery for a while as it takes a little while to kick in. I find it helps. I still have panic attacks but no where near as many as I used to. X

SelmaAndJubjub Wed 11-Oct-17 12:41:40

It's a lot safer than many other drugs used for anxiety but, if you have any concerns, speak to your pharmacist: s/he can talk you through whether it is safe for you.

PoptartPoptart Sun 15-Oct-17 22:20:05

Does Propranolol have any side effects? Weight gain? Nausea?
I’m thinking about asking my GP for this but I’m concerned about side effects

Meow34 Mon 16-Oct-17 06:43:58

Not for me it hasn't poptart. The first couple of weeks on it I was more tired than usual but that went away as my body got used to it

Lovemusic33 Mon 16-Oct-17 07:47:10

I have used it before but only for a short time. I could do with some now as I am expereancing the same. I didn't have any side effects from it at all unlike other medications. Give it a try.

PoptartPoptart Mon 16-Oct-17 13:02:30

Thanks, sorry for more questions... did you take is as and when needed for anxiety or did you take a regular dosage every day?
Does it just treat anxiety or can it help with mild depression too?
Grateful for any experiences.

Meow34 Mon 16-Oct-17 13:06:02

Regular dose 40mg twice a day. I'm pretty sure it can be taken as and when needed too though. Not sure if it helps with depression, I doubt it as it doesn't affect the way the brain functions/ the chemicals etc, it's a beta blocker so it blocks adrenaline it only helps the physical symptoms of anxiety not the mental ones x

Meow34 Mon 16-Oct-17 13:25:04

The one thing that springs to mind that may be an issue for people is blood pressure, propranolol lowers blood pressure so if you already have low blood pressure already it may not be suitable for you to take

PoptartPoptart Mon 16-Oct-17 16:10:36

Thank you all for replies, it’s really helpful. I think I’ll have a chat with my GP

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now