Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Sertraline

(39 Posts)
mummyvicki13 Tue 10-Oct-17 13:05:59

Hi people. Looking for advise. Im on day 2 of taking 50mg sertraline, yesterday i had diarrhea and today too. Felt a bit sick yesterday but only for a couple of hours. I seem to be clenching my jaw too. Anyboby had this and give me some positive experiences.

happymum91 Tue 10-Oct-17 13:11:45

Hi, I've been on sertraline on and off for a few years now and every time I started taking them again I experienced those exact side effects. Obviously everyone reacts differently but it took me 2 weeks to start feeling 'normal' again. Hang in there, it does get better I promise! flowers

mummyvicki13 Tue 10-Oct-17 13:15:47

Did your effects last for a few hows or were they there all the time??

happymum91 Tue 10-Oct-17 13:24:42

I would say they were there pretty much all the time but as each day passed it got better and better. Sertraline has given me the most side effects so far out of all the anti-depressants I've tried but after those initial 2 weeks I found it made me feel so much better and able to cope a little better. If you find it's not working for you though then ask your doctor to try something else. I've found that Anti-depressants are trial and error and what works for one person may not work for you. X

mummyvicki13 Tue 10-Oct-17 13:39:57

Apart from no appetite my side effects only seem to last a few hours so far. I tried a differnt one a few months ago but my side effects were horrendous so these are managable so far

prettypetal Tue 10-Oct-17 16:20:37

I had the same side effects as you for approx 2 weeks. It’s takes a while for you to feel normal on them. I carried on my daily life as usual, I don’t know how but I went to work etc, was high as a kite but after about 2 week those horrible side effects wore off. It’s just your body/ brain adjusting to them. Hugs ... it was horrendous & I felt drugged but I can assure you those side effects do wear off flowers

mummyvicki13 Tue 10-Oct-17 16:28:58

Thank you guys, makes me feel more at ease about them. I havent been feeling to bad so far with them but hate diarrhea not fun

prettypetal Tue 10-Oct-17 16:44:04

I had severe diarrhoea for the first week or 2 too... a couple of times I almost had err accidents : / I suppose to helps to hear that others had the same symptoms to start with too.

SuburbanRhonda Tue 10-Oct-17 16:46:10

Can you take immodium with them?

mummyvicki13 Tue 10-Oct-17 18:16:57

Not sure if i can gonna ask a pharmist tomorrow see what i can take. Any tips on helping feeling sick?? Havent eaten for days so nothing in stomach

prettypetal Wed 11-Oct-17 01:32:36

Not sure re the Imodium, I managed without it ( just 😬) I ate minimal food just to put something in my belly... try bananas which are filling & give you energy, bland foods like toast etc, nothing too rich or fancy. I remember the sicky feeling vividly. But really you must try to eat a little if you can manage it, just keep positive by remembering this will pass shortly.

mummyvicki13 Wed 11-Oct-17 04:47:58

I tried to eat something yesrerday and it made my nausea worse. Feel ok in mornings til i take next tablet

SuburbanRhonda Wed 11-Oct-17 07:09:34

Buccastem tablets are good for nausea - you could ask your GP for a prescription.

mummyvicki13 Wed 11-Oct-17 10:12:22

Im just struggling so much i hate feeling like this and i have 2 young ones to look after

prettypetal Wed 11-Oct-17 10:20:50

Is today your 4th day? Please don’t give up yet, I’d say that you are about 1/3 of the time towards the side effects wearing off ( judging by my experience ) sertraline work by taking daily dosage & if you stop it means you are back to square one. Big big hugs, you’ve done well, it will get better soon flowers

prettypetal Wed 11-Oct-17 10:26:09

Sertraline have some great reviews, once they’ve kicked in that is. You are only a couple of days away from a week milestone. Hang on in there. My pupils were massive & I’m pretty sure that I was talking jibberish & I also had the clenched jaw. It’s just your brain adjusting to the extra dose of Seratonin x

mummyvicki13 Wed 11-Oct-17 10:34:23

Yeah day 3 for me, just tried to eat but my body didnt want it and i have just taken my 3rd tablet thank you for your support its so helpful. Do feel like i want to cry.

eastie1122 Wed 11-Oct-17 13:07:29

I’ve been on sertraline for 2 years now and the side effects for me at the start were the same as yours, but did go away after 3/4 weeks, I take 250mgs per day and now I’m fine..maybe just persevere and the effects will die down...good luck!

mummyvicki13 Wed 11-Oct-17 14:20:16

Thank you for your reply. Gonna keep going i can do it

prettypetal Thu 12-Oct-17 13:40:18

Just checking in to see how you are going today Hun? Please keep going you’ve done really well x

mummyvicki13 Thu 12-Oct-17 14:04:08

Hi prettypetal im doing better today, my side effects seem to be easing off and i managed a cereal bar before my tablet which for me is amazing as hardly eaten for months. How are you getting on?

prettypetal Thu 12-Oct-17 16:19:05

Wooohooo ... smiling for you here : ) That is fantastic news! Really happy for you x Here’s my story regarding them, I’ve been taking them for just over a year, 50 mg same dosage as you. I didn’t suffer from depression( or anxiety so I thought ) but I was constantly dizzy for months on end, I was starting to think that I had a brain tumour or something, I had my eyes tested etc, several doctors appointments. I Started researching anxiety as I was under a lot of stress ( family & work ) and although I did feel anxious, I was reading more & more that dizziness is a symptom of anxiety. I battled with the constant dizziness & spaced out feeling for about 6 month until I realised that I couldn’t take it anymore. Had a discussion with my doctor & she suggested sertraline, like you I was very wary, but after I got through the horrific side effects the dizziness went literally overnight. Taking mind altering meds’ was not the path I wanted to go down, but they worked for me. I sometimes do have my off days but I manage it better now that I know what it is. So that’s my story. If you are starting to want to eat, that’s a good sign : ) keep me posted.

mummyvicki13 Thu 12-Oct-17 18:47:09

Bless you pretty that must of been awful for you. I havent had the best time been struggling since i was 12/13 im now 30. My life is a lot better now but my anxiety has been bad so back to tablets

prettypetal Fri 13-Oct-17 15:08:37

Anxiety is awful. Just checking in to see if there are any further improvements today op ? Hope so, fingers crossed for you.

whycantwegoonasthree Fri 13-Oct-17 15:11:53

Bear with it mummyvicki - I've been on Sertraline twice. The side effects are almost exactly as you describe - nausea and feeling restless/agitated. I remember feeling frightened the first time that it was making me feel worse not better. But give it a couple of weeks and I think you'll start to feel the positive difference. It's made the world of difference - I hadn't realised how much I was struggling until I wasn't any more... Well done for getting help. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now