Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Suddenly fearful of going out alone.

(4 Posts)
user1494531172 Tue 03-Oct-17 13:03:23

Hi everyone,

I have always been a confident outgoing person and regularly done things alone such as shopping, jogging, having a coffee with no problem until recently.

I have been staying in more and more since leaving my job which wasn't suitable for me anymore, and have found when going out, even it's a trip to Tesco on my own I experience terrible anxiety. Out of nowhere. Even when I have to go to the till to pay I feel extremely nervous. Nothing has happened to make me feel like this either so I feel really frustrated with myself.

I can easily go out with company and feel absolutely content. It's only when I have to go out alone that I feel the anxiety. I need to go to town today and I feel like I can't go.

Can this just happen randomly and become a problem? I am doing my best to get this under control before it gets out of hand. I'm so confused why I have started being like this. It is so out of character for me.

JaneJeffer Tue 03-Oct-17 13:07:00

Maybe you are low on B vitamins which can affect your nervous system. Try taking a supplement and see if it helps.

user1494531172 Tue 03-Oct-17 13:10:48

Thanks for replying so quickly. I will pick some up today when I eventually get the courage to leave the house blush

NolongerAnxiousCarer Thu 05-Oct-17 09:20:32

Anxiety is horrible and can be so disabling. I foound meditation and mindfulness helpful. The headspace app is really good and I would use this sat in the carpark to calm myself enough to go to the supermarket. (Supermarkets are notoriously difficult places apparently as they are full of so many potential triggers for our anxiety) I would also reccomend talking to your GP. I found Mirtazapine ( an AD ) and councelling really helped me get back to normal again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now