Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Beta blockers, anxiety, anti depressants

(5 Posts)
sinceyouask Tue 03-Oct-17 09:35:58

My GP has just prescribed these for anxiety. They mostly seem to be making me dizzy, tired and tearful. Is this just part of the getting used to then period? I don't know what's worse, the anxiety or this.

My GP thinks anti depressants might be a better bet and I have a telephone follow up booked for next week to discuss this. I don't think I am depressed- although I know it can be hard to recognise when you are in the grip of it. I've used anti depressants in the past and remember they made me feel very jittery and tense. Can you combine them with beta blockers?

notsobeachready Tue 03-Oct-17 09:40:26

I take an antidepressant, bipolar medication and a beta blocker. I actually find the beta blockers the most helpful in controlling the physical anxiety symptoms (heart palpitations and such).
Hope you're feeling better soon!

sinceyouask Tue 03-Oct-17 09:46:39

Thank you smile It might be an idea to give the anti depressants a go then.

NolongerAnxiousCarer Thu 05-Oct-17 09:24:58

I have found ADs helpful for anxiety, like you I've been depressed and taken ADs in the past and didn't feel depressed this time. My CPN explained that the chemical imballance wuth anxiety is very similar to depression and so ADs work well for anxiety too. I did find though that Flouxitine, which I have found helpful for depression in the past did nothing for me this time. A different AD Mirtazapine really helped though.

sinceyouask Thu 05-Oct-17 10:23:48

Hmmm, of all the past anti depressants I've used, Fluoxetine worked best for me (although it killed my libido stone dead). I really would like to avoid citalopram as that made me so, so jittery.
Thank you- hearing from people with similar difficulties about what has helped them is really good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now