Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Cold turkey off citalopram

(7 Posts)
SadLampshade Tue 01-Aug-17 13:35:38

Hi all, having been away for a couple of days and forgetting to take my medication, I decided to keep "not taking it". I was on 20mg, which I think is the lowest therapeutic dose and after a rocky couple of years, including a surprise baby (who's nearly 1), I was generally feeling ok (albeit exhausted as a new mum).
The first week of withdrawal was not too bad, but now am very emotional, responding to situations that I previously wouldn't have, and feel hugely dizzy/tetchy/etc.
Has anyone else done this? I'm guessing the symptoms will last a few more weeks? I'm wondering if I should start taking it again and then withdraw properly via the gp.

frazzled3ds Tue 01-Aug-17 13:43:27

First time I came off it I dropped quite quickly and stopped taking it within two weeks. I had the dizziness and feeling of being a bit 'spaced out' for a couple of weeks. I don't remember much else as within a few days of stopping my mum was rushed to hospital with a brain haemorrhage and life kind of took over (she recovered almost completely). I was then off it for around three years, but have recently gone back on it for various reasons.

I'd be inclined to say start taking it again but then speak to your gp to wean off gradually - you'll go from 20 to 10 then down to 5 tapering off the dose over a few weeks. Whilst I got through a largely cold turkey stop, I wouldn't recommend it.

calmday Tue 01-Aug-17 13:44:15

Hi. I'm about to do the same thing, go cold turkey off citalopram. I'm on 20mg too.

I don't know what to expect from this, but hopefully it won't be too bad..

Sorry I don't have any advice for you.

SadLampshade Tue 01-Aug-17 15:57:45

Can't make a decision! And, not sure if I'm through the worst, so just to plough through. Don't want to bother GP, nor do I want to be told off for not doing gradual withdrawal.
Am thinking I might see how I feel by Thursday and make a decision then.

If I could shake off the drugged/dosed/dizzy feeling, I'd be able to deal with the rest!

Bambi888 Mon 23-Oct-17 22:26:17

Am just about to go cold turkey as well! Only been on it for 3 months but have had a constant cold sore throat and cough for the last 2 months , also terrible Indigestion and very embarrassing wind! Have read these are all side effects - anyone else had any of these symptoms? Have stopped taking the tablets 2 days ago and no side effects yet, just hope I’m doing the right thing.

Wolfiefan Mon 23-Oct-17 22:27:46

Don't do it. Seriously. You need to wean yourself off very slowly and under medical supervision. You're NOT doing the right thing. Eventually you will crash and feels awful. Please see your GP

Mishappening Mon 23-Oct-17 22:31:04

DO NOT DO THIS!! Seriously you need to come off it slowly. What is the rush? Why risk making yourself unwell? What is the point of that? If you do it properly you will get the desired result without the problems. It is a no-brainer.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: