Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Weight loss after coming off anti depressants - any stories of hope?

(6 Posts)
Used2bthin Sun 09-Jul-17 18:11:00

I've gained 2 stone since starting anti depressants 3 and a half years ago. Had brief spells off them and lost some weight but regained and more once back on them.
I'm 2 stone overweight now having previously been healthy weight.
I came off them 2 months ago due to being pregnant so clearly I am not going to be losing weight exactly but I wondered will my weight settle down? I'd been going to the gym 4-5 times a week and was really trying food wise with no success and I hoped I'd lose a bit or at least not gain so fast by coming off them and the fact I'm eating less due to sickness and not drinking but nope- half a stone already at 13 weeks.

Used2bthin Sun 09-Jul-17 20:10:22

Hoping someone has some good news? I read that some people do gain weight with ssris and it can change the metabolism? It definitely did something to mine but I'm so hoping that once it's all out of my system I might feel like me again. So worried I will need them again as I had pnd with previous pregnancies .

Seagullslanding Tue 11-Jul-17 22:22:54

Hi, I was only on them for 6 months but I immediately noticed that I was gaining weight. I started going to the gym and doing cardio, free weights and exercise classes. I have been at the gym 6 times a week. I also started following the slimming world plan. Even though I did all this, I gained at least 6 pounds and nothing I did would budge the weight. I think I was lucky, I think that perhaps my efforts stopped me gaining more.

I have been completely off the tablets for 7 weeks now, I am still going to the gym and dieting, only now am i seeing the weight start to go. I seem to have lost 5 pounds overnight.

I did a lot of googling but found but hard to find any Info on how long it would take to lose the weight, I did see one item that seemed to imply thst it could take 6 weeks for the drug to leave the system

Used2bthin Tue 11-Jul-17 22:36:15

Thanks seagulls and that sounds similar to my experience except that I ended up piling it on then trying to do lots of gym etc and slimming world but by then there was already a problem iyswim. I think depends which one ad prozac stays in tjr system 8 weeks ish I think. But that's amazing you are losing weight now! I have done lots of reading up online too but can't find much other than the odd post saying the weight hasn't come off which scared me!

Miz10 Tue 11-Jul-17 23:23:18

Hi I was on citalopram for 3 years and put on 3 stone, I've been off them since Feb and the weight is coming off. I have lost about 24lb so far with just heathy eating.

Used2bthin Wed 12-Jul-17 07:11:19

Thanks Miz that's encouraging to hear. Being pregnant I know I won't be losing weight as such but am starting out at my last pregnancy at my end weight for the other two so I worry about how I will be at the end. To not gain much would be ideal then a return to normal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now