Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Postnatal psychosis

(8 Posts)
Saloire Thu 06-Jul-17 23:59:05

So I would be grateful for any advice/experiences on this
I'm currently expressing milk for my little girl as we haven't been able to breastfeed and she is allergic to every formula we have tried including Neocate. She is 13 weeks, and I recently hired a hospital grade pump since my previous breast pump broke. Recently something really scary has been happening to me:
Every time I expressed, my boobs have started throbbing, the pump hasn't been draining them and I've been left feeling really strange, like the room is rocking from side to side, and and I have felt really strong feelings of Magness and foreboding. My supply is also going down, and I've started to get what looks like the beginnings of mastitis. I'm not really concerned with finding an answer to the physical side of things on this board, but it's more a feeling I've been having, such tearful horrible feelings, such fear and negativity, such utter darkness and madness in my brain. I can't control any of this, and it was so scary this morning, I just felt like I was inhabiting a nightmare, and had completely lost touch with reality. I guess my question is, is this the beginning of psychosis or is this just anxiety gone out of control? Perhaps some of you guys have experienced something like this, or have experienced psychosis and could tell me what it feels like. I've never felt mad before, and I've had plenty of depressive episodes, nothing like what I've been feeling recently. I want to be a good mum to my kids, but this expressing regime plus the worry about my daughters formular allergy, and now all the worry about my sanity is driving me bananas.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 07-Jul-17 00:09:15

Go and see your GP first thing,ask for an emergency appt.

I certainly had very strange feelings expressing milk, but what you are describing sounds to me like how I felt with PND. I am not a doctor​ so you can't take my word for it but please get an appt on the morning because mastitis alone will make you feel very ,very poorly.x

FrToddUnctious Fri 07-Jul-17 00:10:33

Oh love please see your GP. it sounds like it could be something like that. I'm not knowledgeable enough to advise, but speak to the GP who can point you in the right direction to get the help you need. flowers
You've done a fab job giving your dc the breast milk, but you can of course give up if it's causing stress. I mixed fed dd1 for 12 weeks and she is fab. Dd2 I managed for much longer (years) as it worked out better. She's fab too. It's just the way it goes. Ask the gp about what to do about the allergies as you need to have a choice of how to feed. Your mental health comes first.

darjeelingdarling Mon 10-Jul-17 10:17:14

Oh my lovely. Please see your gp.

And look at / get in touch with this charity who support all parents going through any pregnancy/ postpartum related mh difficulty.

http://www.pandasfoundation.org.uk

flowers

darjeelingdarling Mon 10-Jul-17 10:17:50

I wonder if a milk bank could help you too?

FrToddUnctious Mon 10-Jul-17 11:09:36

Milk bank is a good idea. Especially with the allergies and MH

NolongerAnxiousCarer Tue 11-Jul-17 18:51:54

Definately see your GP ASAP about how you are feeling. My understanding is that generally if youthink you might have psychosis you probably don't as normally with psychosis you don't have insight into the fact your thoughts are unusual. It could well be something like PND or anxiety though. Whatever it is your GP should be able to help.

ScoobyDoosTinklyLaugh Tue 11-Jul-17 19:22:21

Google DMER/ dysphoric milk election reflex I think it's called. I got very, very bad feelings when breastfeeding and expressing.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: