Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Glossophobia

(10 Posts)
Namechange2837 Mon 26-Jun-17 16:53:27

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post. I have a serious phobia of presenting or public speaking. I currently take propranolol to get me through the actual day of the presentation, but when I practice at home (even just infront of DH) I often have a panic attack and start crying.
It's something I really REALLY want to overcome and was just wondering whether anyone had beaten a phobia or social anxiety before and if so how?
I cannot afford CBT at the moment but in the future would consider that when I can.
Thanks

changedmynameagain87 Mon 26-Jun-17 19:21:31

I'm petrified of that too (and a hundred other things) but today I presented to 25ppl. No drugs just me and a can do attitude. I told myself the worst thing that would happen would be a panic attack. The very worst. I had a glass of water, my notes and just thought sod it, anxiety is only an emotion. We don't fear other emotions do we? Go for it op

Namechange2837 Mon 26-Jun-17 19:25:30

Thanks for replying changedmyname and WELL DONE!!! 👏 👏
For me it's unfortunately much more than an emotion - it's a physiological state. The overactive adrenaline renders me unable to see straight, talk or even stand upright 😞
The beta blockers block the adrenaline receptors which reduce the physiological effects of my anxiety, but the mental thoughts are still there. Hopefully one day I'll be able to control it all.

PacificDogwod Mon 26-Jun-17 19:36:00

CBT can be incredibly powerful to address social phobias and the likes.
Ask your GP thanks

changedmynameagain87 Mon 26-Jun-17 19:40:21

Oh the physiological ones are awful. I disorientate, hyperventilate, gulp air so much I bloat, feel dizzy (in most situations not just this) but cbt taught me to ignore them and power through. They'll get worse because they want you to react in fear but eventually they'll die down. I call it PAM the panic attack monster. She tries to hurt me but she never can

KeemaNaan Mon 26-Jun-17 22:58:02

There's a long wait for CBT, but when you get there, it could really help you, so I think the first step is to speak to a GP, explain about the panic attacks and get onto the waiting list. I'm sure the'd be supportive of you wanting to find a way to do it without needing beta blockers.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Mon 26-Jun-17 23:00:04

Can you self refer to IAPT? I didn't have to wait long for my CBT (couple of weeks) after contacting IAPT.

Namechange2837 Tue 27-Jun-17 07:38:55

Hey AndNone, thanks for the recommendation - I've just had a peek online and there's somewhere just round the corner!

changedmynameagain87 Tue 27-Jun-17 09:36:08

The main thing to remember is no matter how bad the panic attack, it can't hurt you at all. That's the worst it'll ever be.

SealSong Tue 27-Jun-17 12:03:12

It's possible to use self help CBT resources to help with difficulties like these, if you can't manage paid CBT currently.
Getselfhelp and Moodjuice are both free online CBT based self help resources that you can use.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now