Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Impending sense of doom

(7 Posts)
Alphvet Sat 24-Jun-17 16:59:22

Hi
I am starting a new job soon and was loooking forward to it but now all I am thinking is "what if the kids are ill all the time?" " what if my car breaks down" " what if petrol prices sky rocket and I can't get there". The list is endless and always on my mind, looking for issues that don't yet exist, and are unlikely to. This is typical of me.

How do you know if you are in need of help from a doctor? My dad suffered from anxiety, medicated, and I feel myself heading the same way.

babybell89 Sat 24-Jun-17 22:06:21

It could just be nerves but seeing a doctor can't harm. Also try the talking changes website if your from the U.K. They helped me a lot with my anxiety x

Funnyonion17 Sat 24-Jun-17 22:12:28

It's fear of taking a risk. But in reality those are real problems people often face, but they cope. You would cope too. No employer is gonna go ape if your a bit late as your car has broken down, many can be accommodating to parents and as for fuel.. well it is what it is. Feel the fear and do it anyway is the way forward with anxiety smile

TheoriginalLEM Sat 24-Jun-17 22:16:09

Are you me? I am an anxiety sufferer and am unmedicated at present, sadly this is something that may have to change as its come back with a vengeance.

"What if" ruins my life

flowers

To put it into some sort of context, if all those things happen you'll either manage or you wont, but I suspect you will.

Alphvet Sun 25-Jun-17 11:27:38

Thanks for your input. Day to day I'm fine actually and probably the least stressed person where I work and people comment on how chilled out I am. But worrying about the future is a big issue for me.

TheoriginalLEM Sun 25-Jun-17 17:32:25

I have just clocked your user name, are you in the veterinary profession? if so, you really might be my twin - I also have a rep for being unflappable at work, although this has gone out the window recently with some impressive meltdowns (although to be fair, if I didn't have those particular meltdowns someone else would have).

Aintgotnosoapbox Sun 25-Jun-17 23:45:28

It's anticipatory anxiety , occurs prior to the anxiety provoking event. When you are doing things, the anxiety goes. I think it's from self - pressure and fear of the unknown? There are ways to manage it like distraction, meditation, look ate online resources like getselfhelp and mood juice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now