Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Look after yourself or try harder

(5 Posts)
champagnecyclist Thu 15-Jun-17 22:05:23

Does anyone find themselves questioning whether they should be increasing self care, or need to kick themselves up the behind and try harder?

I feel like looking back to even a year ago, since then I have given up, lost my ambition, find it so much harder to motivate myself to exercise, or talk to anyone. I'm so much more likely to drown my pain in wine and repetitive netflix episodes. At the same time I see my life spiralling.. and spiralling.. downwards and I'm so tired of fighting for anything, I feel burnt out.

But how do you know - whether actually, you should be a bit harsher with yourself?

dangermouseisace Thu 15-Jun-17 22:52:24

I'm struggling with the same.

Being told that it's necessary to 'be nice to yourself'. I'm wondering whether I actually want to get better as I can't/won't do the things that I need to do.

TBH though I think alcohol is a major downer and robs people of motivation. I gave it up for a while and really noticed how awful I felt mentally after just one drink the night before.

NolongerAnxiousCarer Fri 16-Jun-17 11:23:27

I've tried pushing myself to get better e.g. forcing myself to spend hours exercising because that is supposed to help, but I didn't actually start to feel better until I took the pressure to feel better off and accepted I was poorly and needed time to recover. If that makes any sense.

Thinkingofausername1 Sun 25-Jun-17 21:07:37

I've been trying to push myself; then have days like today where I'm a wreck. Sometimes it's best to take one day at a time flowers

UnRavellingFast Mon 26-Jun-17 01:12:59

Accepting being poorly and that we need time to recover is a very comforting thought.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now