Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

I think I might have a spending problem

(3 Posts)
NooNooHead1981 Mon 12-Jun-17 11:16:00

I am not massively in debt but I am always frittering money away on crap I don't need. I always seem to be in my overdraft and have to be bailed out by my parents (at the age of 36!!) on almost a monthly basis. I only earn £600 a month on a retainer as a freelancer so am pretty much broke after I've put my share into the joint account.

I think I might be very depressed about a lot of things - past / current health issues, movement disorder, ectopic pregnancy, brother has cancer etc but I don't know what to do. I feel very scared about how I can't control my spending and how it is possibly the only way I feel in control (ironically) by buying things to boost my happiness.

I feel like this has been a vicious circle for years, but has got worse recently. Working at home on my own with access to shops down the road doesn't help either. I'm lost for a way forward. :-(

JeremyCorbynsVest Mon 12-Jun-17 11:27:21

I also struggle with this, seeing a treat as a short term way to lift me out of a black mood, fear, loneliness etc.

I have no very useful advice unfortunately apart from logging everything I spend using an app called 'money' in my phone.

If I don't do this my spending gets even more out of hand. It's pretty bad even using this but at least it helps me exercise some restraint. I also often take things back after I've had a buying spree as I will come crashing down after the initial high and realise I don't need the things I've bought.

One other thing I noticed helps is that when I do spend, try to make it on an experience it trip, rather than an item as thus lifts my mood more (although still costs money.. sad. )

Will be watching this thread and hope someone else will come along to advise. In the meantime, sympathy - you're not alone.

NooNooHead1981 Mon 12-Jun-17 11:38:22

Thank you for your advice and for listening - I feel like I can't talk to my husband about it as he knows what a spendthrift I am and how bad I am at budgeting. If it wasn't for him running the household bills, I don't know I would cope.

You'd think I'd be better on control of things by now, but I have a feeling there are lots of underlying issues that my spending is actually masking and I don't like to acknowledge. Maybe I really do need a good therapist... :-(

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now