Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Is this a panic attack- scared

(7 Posts)
VLCos Fri 09-Jun-17 12:55:18

For the last few days I have felt a bit breathless. Like tightness at the top of the throat.
I was out on Tuesday and almost all of a sudden I thought I couldn't breath. I felt shaky and was talking lots of quick breaths. Heart beating fast
I went to urgent care . I waited three hours in the waiting room after an hour things eased. By the time they saw me they listened to my and chest , and took oxygen saturation and decided it was a panic attack.
That night woke up from sleep a bit panicked and had a tingle feeling down my left arm. I thought I was having a heart attack.
The next day I went to see my GP who checked me over and agreed with the hospital.
Today It started again I have been walking around for hours because if I sit down it gets worse.
This hasn't happened before but I am awaiting a CT scan and colonoscopy for bowel problems. I also had a breast cancer scare before Xmas which was clear. I do sometimes get a pain in left side near ribs.
Could this be a medical problem or is it anxiety ?

ThatVogueLife Fri 09-Jun-17 13:23:10

I think this is likely due to anxiety. I have the same issues x

VLCos Fri 09-Jun-17 13:32:51

@ThatVogueLife thank you glad it's not just me .

amymel2016 Fri 09-Jun-17 13:38:47

I also suffer with panic attacks, these definitely sound like them and they are horrible flowers It sounds like you've been through a lot recently which can bring them on. The main thing which clears mine are taking deep breaths and counting 5 things I can see, hear and touch, it brings you back down to normal. It also helps to remember that what you're feeling is normal, it's just a load of adrenaline in your system which causes the tingly feeling, breathlessness and stomach ache. Is there anyone around IRL you can speak to? I find going out with friends for dinner/playing a game takes my mind off it xx

VLCos Fri 09-Jun-17 14:42:51

@amymel2016 thank you for your reply. I of course am paranoid it's something more but two medical professionals have come to the same conclusion . I am currently at playgroup with my DS I feel anxious just talking to other parents but I am getting through it. I can talk to my other half but get worried he is getting fed up if listening to it.
This is all new to me I haven't experienced this before .
Going out definitely helps . I will try the tips you have suggested thank you .
Is it normal for the attack feeling to last a while?

amymel2016 Fri 09-Jun-17 15:53:16

You're bound to feel like that, the physical symptoms are very scary. I would definitely listen to those Doctors but there's no harm going back to your GP next week if it does continue. Try not to Google your symptoms (im the worst for this!)! The website No More Panic is great for information on it. Mine have always been short attacks (anything from 5 mins - 20 mins) but the panic feeling does tend to go away, but that may just be me, I've had them for over 10 years so I may have forgotten those at the start! Please talk to your husband, it will be difficult for him to understand but just putting the experience into words helps, or write it down. It's very difficult but the more you think about it/hold it in the worse it'll get. Mine are very well controlled now and as soon as I feel the rising panic I can clamp down on it xx

VLCos Fri 09-Jun-17 16:32:22

@amymel2016 thank you I will talk to him he's a journalist so with the election he's been working or shattered . He can tell when something is wrong I am not very good at hiding it.
It definitely feels like when the attack eases adrenaline is pumping for a while. Makes me shattered.

I will have a look at that website. Google just tells you you are dying no matter what symptom shock

My gp did offer some medication but she thinks it's because of the health worries it has arisen and will settle afterwards with any luck x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now