Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Would I be put on ADs?

(8 Posts)
GMCJiminy Sat 03-Jun-17 22:32:50

Or COULD I be put on ADs. I'm well aware they are not a fix all. But I am desperately sad, depressed, anxious.

I havent really told anyone. I'm struggling at work. Really struggling. I have a new post which is also requiring work for a portfolio.
Work isn't great. The atmosphere isn't great. I'm not getting lunch breaks (or any breaks) until much later in the day. I've had staff complain to bosses about my manner (which I'm struggling to tell if it is me or them). I'm not sleeping particularly well (I get nightmares and night terrors quite regularly).

My weekend time is used for trying to work on said portfolio but I'm so stressed that I can't get motivated and can't relax either. I'm definitely not my usual self. I have become reclusive, even feel a bit paranoid. I don't know. I guess I just need some help.

I have previously visited my GP with depression. Read the self help books. Slept better for a while. They suggested they sign me off work. I don't really see how that would help matters as it doesn't help me deal with what's in front of me. Any tips or any likelihood of me being put on ADs?

GMCJiminy Sat 03-Jun-17 22:35:01

I'm being silly. I know I'm being very silly

moutonfou Sat 03-Jun-17 22:45:48

I went to my GP describing similar feelings. Basically I was just generally struggling. She prescribed ADs and referred me for NHS counselling. I think (possibly as you are?) I thought that it would have to be more serious, that they would accuse me of being 'not depressed enough' or think I was overreacting, but she took me seriously and was very kind.

ADs will never be the answer alone - counselling and taking stock of your circumstances/if there is anything you can change, would be beneficial - but ADs can help you get things back on an even keel in the meantime. You wouldn't just struggle on through an infection, even a small one, and nor should you just struggle on through a mental health crisis. You are not being silly at all smile

DropZoneOne Sat 03-Jun-17 22:48:31

Not silly at all, not sure what makes you think that. It's ok to ask for help flowers

Has your GP had you complete the "depression questionnaire"? (Not the official title but am on rubbish internet connection and can't google). If you're feeling low most days, then ADs could help, if it's more than mild depression which can be improved with exercise, improved diet and sleep.

However, if the cause of the stress, anxiety and depression is work, they could recommend some time off to help get you in a better frame of mind to deal with the situation. Is it a big company with occupational health? As that could also come into play to make them look at reasonable adjustments to help you.

Would really recommend another chat with your GP as the start point. Write down how you feel if you think it's too hard to talk.

chocolateworshipper Sat 03-Jun-17 22:48:57

There are various different types of ADs, and yes I think they could benefit you - even if it is to enable you to relax enough to sleep better and feel less stressed about work. Is there an occupational health department where you work that you could talk to? No breaks until late in the day is certainly not going to be helping you

GMCJiminy Sat 03-Jun-17 22:53:17

God. I don't know where to start with my GP.

moutonfou Sat 03-Jun-17 23:18:05

As another poster suggests, writing it down can be useful. I was really nervous and basically just handed it to her and she read it out loud and asked any extra questions she had.

NolongerAnxiousCarer Sun 04-Jun-17 11:12:22

You could print out your post for your GP to read as a starting point. ADs can really help especially alongside councelling or cbt. They do take a few weeks to kick in though so time off sick can help you get in a better frame of mind before going back into the situation. Do you have a supportive manager you could discuss your concerns with? A good manager should be able to help you work through the issues at work too and as someone else said if you have access to occupational health they may offer councelling etc quicker than NHS.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now