Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Sertraline

(9 Posts)
Vinegartits4 Wed 31-May-17 21:09:58

I'm irrational that these pills will make me larger which in turn is not going to help me, google is just full of people saying these pills put stones on them... How? Is it really possible? If this is absolutely the case then I'd rather be fucking miserable and not as fat as these pills will make me.

tango1980 Wed 31-May-17 22:20:01

I took them briefly and lost weight. Messes up your sleep and sex life but gets better after about 6 weeks.

MilesHuntsWig Wed 31-May-17 22:44:11

So much to unpack with that post.

The very close friend I know on sertraline has lost weight since taking it, but that's not really the point. The drug doesn't make you out on weight it's more likely to be whether the symptoms of the illness you're being treated for manifest in your relationship with food.

Why not try it (you need to give it a while to work) and keep an eye on things?

Privateandconfidentialplease Wed 31-May-17 22:45:00

I would steer clear off Google. I was worried about the same thing before I went on this a few months ago and it was fine. I didn't put on weight.

WhatABaklava Wed 31-May-17 22:50:44

If this is absolutely the case then I'd rather be fucking miserable and not as fat as these pills will make me

If you genuinely believe this then I don't think you're depressed. Depression is a fucker and I would do anything not to have it.

(I'm currently on sertraline and it's great for me)

SureIusedtobetaller Wed 31-May-17 23:01:26

I'm currently on it, no weight gain, and I'd steer clear of Google as suggested- remember people are more likely to post about a negative experience than a positive one.

JessieDoops Wed 31-May-17 23:12:23

I've been on this a few times over the heads, never put on any weight

JessieDoops Wed 31-May-17 23:12:39

Heads = years

Joto369 Thu 01-Jun-17 06:36:31

I was prescribed sertraline in Feb but was worried about losing weight as i was suffering from stress related anxiety plus the start of perimenopause. This was causing insomnia, increased anxiety/panic and weight loss and i didn't want to make that worse (can be a side effect). Probably should have steered clear of Google too - now on the mend without them but I wasn't suffering from depression. If I was I would, as the other poster stated have tried them. Meds affect people differently.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now