Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Amtriptyline and bi-polar

(5 Posts)
Room101isWhereIUsedToLive Tue 30-May-17 18:50:37

I have started taking amtriptyline for sleep/fybromalgia issues nine days ago, which is meant to make you more tired but I am now waking up at four in the morning and feeling less tired than i normally do.
I've spoken to a pharmacist and tried to get an appointment with my dr but no available appointments for two weeks.
Just worried that this might be triggering mania and don't quite know what to do.
Psychiatrist signed me off last year so can't talk to them either.
Anyone been through similar?

KeemaNaan Tue 30-May-17 19:09:30

I have bipolar and can't go anywhere near antidepressants without ending up manic and early waking is the first sign. It's not unusual at all for GPs to not always get meds right for people with psych disorders. I'd get back to them and see if they can give you something else.

Personally I'd stop taking them until you can get an appt with your GP than risk it.

Room101isWhereIUsedToLive Tue 30-May-17 19:25:29

Thanks. I guess I should but not feeling tired is very useful at the moment. I have to work three days this week (paid job) and I am in the last two weeks of my degree.
The drs suggested that I try for an appointment tomorrow morning but I am at work all day. Just feels like nothing is ever simple!

KeemaNaan Tue 30-May-17 22:29:39

I totally get finding it useful. I'm an absolute sod for enjoying the first twinges of hypomania. Sadly, the last time they thought they'd try me on antidepressants to help, I enjoyed feeling energy for the first time in forever so much that I didn't realise when it had gone too far and wound up in hospital.

I'm very good at do what I say, not what I do grin

Room101isWhereIUsedToLive Wed 31-May-17 06:46:57

Totally get it. Managed yesterday to go to work all day and then to uni, to check on some work, then met with a friend for half hour, then went home, did some laundry, tidied the kitchen, then spoke to another friend for forty minutes. Usually i would be done after the eight hours at work.
I did sleep later today though, which is good (i love sleep).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now