Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Prozac - scared to start

(5 Posts)
TakeTheProzac Mon 29-May-17 19:05:43

History
Started citalopram a year ago. Max dose was 20mg.
Cut back to 10mg, then 5mg then back up to 10mg.

MH has taken massive down turn - under care of secondary MH team.

2 weeks ago at psychiatrist appt was told 10mg maybe doing more harm than good as it's not a therapeutic dose. She wants me to take prozac. I have the pills in my drawer. I have not taken either med for over 2 weeks now. I am scared of the side effects and of feeling worse before I feel better.

I am feeling pretty bad now, but I just can't make myself take that first pill.

I had horrid side effects with citalopram. I don't know if that's indicative of how I might be with prozac.

Any words of advice?

SureIusedtobetaller Tue 30-May-17 08:29:34

You may not get side effects. I scared myself silly before starting sertraline because I read so much about it. My friend stood over me while I took the first dose. The only side effect I had was slight tiredness and feeling a bit dozy, which wore off. Different ssris work for different people. Take one, if you feel awful don't take the next one?

UnbornMortificado Tue 30-May-17 08:38:51

Side effects unfortunately can be part and parcel of AD's but I've never met a doctor who wouldn't prescribe short term relief from them (such as stronger painkillers and antisickness tablets)

Would that help do you think?

TakeTheProzac Wed 31-May-17 07:34:47

Thank you.
I did start and so far no side effects apart from struggling to get to sleep last night (took it in the morning).

I need to sort myself out.
High BP (I do not tick any boxes, apart from high stress, for high BP), too high CK levels, borderline too low K and Na. Underweight.

I won't be offered CBT until my mood is more stable.

Funny though...hardly anyone would notice the turmoil in my head.

AndieNZ Wed 31-May-17 08:01:05

Hi

I found Prozac was great but best taken at night. The only negative side effects was that my appetite went through the roof and it effected my ability to have an orgasm.

Having said that, for me, the positive side effects outweighed the negatives. I felt happy, calm and kind of at peace with myself. I adopted a fuck it attitude to things that would normally worry me and stress me out.

I will say that everyone is different as my sister took them and she didn't last very long on them as she said they turned her into a zombie and felt numb.

I would personally give them a go as if you already feel down you have nothing to lose. If they don't suit you, stop taking them and go back to your GP.

Good luck flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now