We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Coming off Citolopram + Info about Magnesium Baths

(5 Posts)
Octopus37 Sat 27-May-17 09:25:19

Hi,

Hope noone posts in me, I have just been reading some of the posts about anger and Motherhood which resonate with me. I have been taking 20mg of Citrolopram for just over a year and have decided to start weaning myself off them, mainly cause I am getting to the point where I feel as if I should be able to manage without and also cause I dont like the fact that I have gained about 10 pounds in weight whilst off them and I am hoping that in coming off them my weight will drop gradually. I have weaned of AD's before and no I need to do it slowly so I am starting by taking one tablet every other day,
today is the first day I have missed a dose and then after a week I will take a tablet every three days etc.
I read something on here a little while ago about somebody finding that magnesium baths (epsom salt baths) helped with their stress levels and food cravings, no it seems far fetched, but was wonderin if anyone had tried it.

Seagullslanding Sat 27-May-17 23:55:57

I don't know anything about magnesium.

I'm currently weaning myself off citalopram. My cbt counsellor told me to Google cortisol, it explains why we gain weight with citalopram.

I'm now looking at natural remedies to reduce cortisol, holy basil (tilsa tea) and triphala.

I've been dieting and exercising and not losing weight, this week I stopped the citalopram and the weight is starting to go.

I'm off to Google magnesium now.

Octopus37 Wed 31-May-17 18:31:45

Sorry only jus saw this, the cortisol thing is interesting. I know sometimes eat for a whole host of reasons but I do feel that something has happened biologically since taking the tablets. I am going to take a note of the tea etc that you are trying, Only down to one tablet every other day at the moment so quite early on in the weaning off process. Thanks again for the tip.

Queenofthedrivensnow Wed 31-May-17 19:39:35

I didn't eat loads but my god the feeling drink spells were awful. Like dizzy but more.

Wolfiefan Wed 31-May-17 19:43:09

I was told to reduce by the smallest amount possible and then only to reduce again once you have felt stable for a few weeks.
Are you doing this under medical supervision? It's really not a good idea to stop this medication too suddenly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now