Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Medicine worries

(13 Posts)
plaintomatopasta Fri 26-May-17 20:33:28

Hi,

My psychiatrist has today given me a prescription for seroxat and sertraline. I can't find anywhere where it says I should be ok taking them both. She said it will help me sleep better and control my PNP better. I'm really worried about weight gain and muscle spasms too and I expect both will have side effects on top!

As someone who had a very serious ed and still panics about food then weight gain would make my problems worse.

Thank you xx

Privateandconfidentialplease Fri 26-May-17 22:38:13

I have been on sertraline for a few months and I haven't put on weight. I was concerned about that too.

plaintomatopasta Fri 26-May-17 22:56:46

Thank you. I just worry about it. I'd hoped to be off everything by now but they just keep changing it around.

AuntyElle Fri 26-May-17 23:11:22

I've taken various SSRIs without them causing weight gain. However, I've never heard of anyone being prescribed two SSRIs at the same time. (Obvs I'm not a doctor!) Could you query it with your GP?
I've found this book helpful:
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/074326973X/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495836267&sr=1-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=M.+D.+Glenmullen+Joseph&dpPl=1&dpID=51OVLUnEmCL&ref=plSrch&tag=mumsnetforum-21
Not that I'm suggesting you want to come off them, but it is also useful if you are on SSRIs. flowers

plaintomatopasta Fri 26-May-17 23:23:33

He said one will counter the side effects of the other because previous rounds of anti depressants have led me to attempted suicide. Obviously that's not what I want when I already think someone is trying to kill me!

plaintomatopasta Sat 27-May-17 06:55:53

Hmmmm well this morning I think I'm going to be sick so I doubt I'll over eat today!

NolongerAnxiousCarer Sat 27-May-17 17:22:16

Psychiatrists have much more experience of prescibing medication in more complex cases than GPs, so as your psychiatrist has suggested both I think there must be a good reason for it.

plaintomatopasta Sat 27-May-17 17:33:47

Thank you @NolongerAnxiousCarer I've not enjoyed my first day if I'm honest. All I'm doing is yawning and my DH just said I'm manic!

AuntyElle Sat 27-May-17 23:30:54

Have you got a follow-up appt with the psychiatrist booked in *@plain*?
I suggested GP for any queries in the meantime as they are usually more easily accessible and can themselves ask for clarification from psych if necessary.
flowers

Privateandconfidentialplease Sun 28-May-17 07:34:39

I remember I yawned so much the first week and I couldn't sit still either. It does calm down.

plaintomatopasta Sun 28-May-17 08:51:30

I'm just talking a million miles an hour and can't stop. I don't like myself even more now and it's not helping my state of mind.

Privateandconfidentialplease Mon 29-May-17 18:51:58

How are you today op? Have you tried mediation or mindfulness to calm yourself?

plaintomatopasta Tue 30-May-17 08:26:56

Hi @Privateandconfidentialplease I'm still feeling rotten and can't sleep now which is making me bad tempered. I'm sure I'll get used to them and the rough patch will go away. I'm going to call the office at 9 to get some advice and ask my cpn if she has any advice and can come with me to see my dr (I'm off work all week for half term but my DH isn't so my 2yo has to come and my cpn loves him so takes him upstairs to see everyone!).

I purposely chose half term to start my new medication in case it was bad. My jaw is fixed and very painful still so I can't eat much. At least I won't be getting fat!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now