Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Complex PTSD

(4 Posts)
MyGastIsFlabbered Thu 25-May-17 20:11:38

I've suffered with MH problems since I was a teenager (now early 40s). When I was in my early 20s I spent 2 months in a psychiatric hospital. In one of the sessions with my psychiatrist at the time he said (his exact words) 'you're not insane but you're severely traumatised by previous events in your life'. Since then I've suffered bouts of suicidal depression, had countless courses of CBT but I'm still not what I'd class as 'well'.

I've recently been assessed as probably having borderline personality disorder (trying to get a formal diagnosis but it's like trying to catch water with a fishing net) but I've been wondering about the psychiatrist's words. As I understand it c-PTSD has significant overlap with BPD and it's made me wonder if I should explore this further.

Effzeh Fri 26-May-17 12:40:37

Can you ask for a referral to a psychiatrist with expertise in this field?

Some Trusts will have a dedicated service/s which might be called things like Traumatic Stress Service, or Complex Depression and Trauma service.

They will have experience at teasing out the various strands of what's going on, and should be able to access the most appropriate support for you.

Clonakilty Fri 26-May-17 15:09:45

I have both of these; I think it's worth exploring. I'm sorry that I can't be of help regarding where to go: I was in private therapy for a few years. Best of luck though.

illneverknowwhereigo Fri 26-May-17 19:28:41

Hi OP,

There are lots of us with CPTSD on this thread, which may be helpful:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/feeling_depressed/2891488-Just-wondered-if-anyone-with-PTSD-Complex-PTSD-fancied-a-chat

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now