Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

CBT experience

(6 Posts)
TVWife Tue 23-May-17 15:18:57

I'm going to be undertaking CBT shortly. Any ideas as to what I'm likely to feel like after sessions? Ok/mentally drained for example?

buggerthebotox Tue 23-May-17 15:22:23

I've had it. Did nothing for me. I felt it was too superficial to have any real effect. It seems to be more about reframing a problem than solving it.

I think it works for some, though.

LapinR0se Tue 23-May-17 15:36:42

It depends what you are going for. Do you mind sharing?

TVWife Tue 23-May-17 15:41:37

It's a set of group sessions - sleep issues etc

LapinR0se Tue 23-May-17 16:08:45

Ah ok. I did one-to-one sessions for agoraphobia and claustrophobia and they turned my life around.
I did try group but I didn't like it at all as I felt my problems were insignificant compared to the others' (most had attempted or were considering suicide) and also some of the stories there really upset me. So o stopped going.
I would only recommend group if the other people had similar problems to you.

Joto369 Tue 23-May-17 21:04:49

I referred to IAPT in jan went in april and then had to cancel next appt due to my job. Rang them in good time yet still they discharged me - complaint in with PALS. That first session was very low level - ok for general worry stuff but as only allowed 6 sessions I'm not sure how far it would have got. It didn't go into anything in great depth and I came away feeling fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now