Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Every couple of weeks I get really down for a few days.

(20 Posts)
Amicrackers Sat 20-May-17 22:50:47

Just that really.

I seem to slip into a gloom where everything is negative. It even gets to the point where I'm this king of chucking my GF, leaving my daughter etc.

I convince myself they don't love me and that they're just fucking idiots, that I'd be happier alone, without them and anyone else.

Right now I'm fine so can think rationally about it.
When on fine, I'm happy go lucky, joking, talking in silly voices, being generally a silly arse with my DD etc.
But then for those few days I just want everyone to fuck right off.

Does this sound like depression or is depression more a constant thing?

Thanks in advance.

chocolateworshipper Sat 20-May-17 23:24:38

There are a variety of mental health issues. I wonder if you could be manic depressive / bipolar, but I'm obviously not qualified to make a diagnosis. Definitely worth getting medical advice though.

Smeaton Sun 21-May-17 09:30:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Brokenbiscuit Sun 21-May-17 09:35:13

Do you think it could be hormonal?

chocolateworshipper Sun 21-May-17 09:35:13

Yes - go to your GP. They may refer you to a psychiatrist who can diagnose exactly where the problem is. Depression doesn't have to be constant by the way - I have good days and bad days. Good luck

Joto369 Sun 21-May-17 09:47:07

I'm like that but mine is hormonal due to perimenopause. Keep a diary of moods food and where you are in your cycle. Regardless of diagnosis this will help if there are any obvious patterns.

ChipInTheSugar Sun 21-May-17 09:53:59

I'm similar but my swings are approximately 6-weekly. For me it's probably peri-menopause related but I hate it and everyone else when it happens.

Joto369 Sun 21-May-17 10:01:47

I hear you chip! It's awful as it strikes out of the blue. I'm at ovulation time (in a normal cycle) and the last two days ive been anxious depressed and told my OH I hated him. From out of nowhere. Poor sod had done nothing!

Teardropexplodes Sun 21-May-17 10:06:35

I get this. In fact I'm in bed at the moment, recovering from a meltdown. It's the genuine belief that our marriage is awful, DH should just leave, he doesn't love me, doesn't care about me etc
I'm not talking attention-seeking foot -stamping. This is genuine distress.
There's definitely a hormonal aspect to some of it. I take the pill and really struggle mid cycle so I think it's oestrogen.
But it isn't all that.
I've been taking some multivitamins to balance it, which feels a bit better, but still have big pits at times.

Smeaton Sun 21-May-17 10:17:21

Name change failure oh well.

I don't think my issue is cycle related, what with being a man and stuff. But I guess hormonal could be a part.

I know I don't like it, it makes me feel like an awful and horrible person. I really have to exhaust myself to control my actions and responses to people. sad

gamerchick Sun 21-May-17 10:22:37

IT can still be hormonal, dudes have them as well and it does sound very PMTish which is definitely hormonal and can be made worse if vitamin deficient.

There are wellman vitamins on the market, maybe start there? But really a visit to your GP might be in order.

chickensaresafehere Sun 21-May-17 10:23:54

Mines definitely cycle/peri-meno related.I am on HRT,so my mood has improved,but every 4-6 weeks or so I descend into a fog of misery,that I struggle to climb out of.
I have struggled with anxiety & depression many times over the past 20 odd years & have had a lot of success with CBT & counselling(AD's didn't really help),so with CBT I feel more equipped to manage these low bits but you are not alone.
I see myself as always suffering from mental health issues,but I am coping much better with them now.

Teardropexplodes Sun 21-May-17 10:34:46

For anyone that's struggling, this is my arsenal. I also take 100mg setraline and the combined pill, which I'm swapping to progesterone only soon, in the hope it will improve.
I have noticed a big difference since I started taking these and getting more exercise. Also trying to limit carbs and sugar as they aggravate it.

ChipInTheSugar Sun 21-May-17 11:18:33

I need to get back on the magnesium; also on 100mg sertraline and vit D. I hate the indifference towards my partner and dc when I feel like this, can't rationalise my thoughts/feelings at all.

OP. Sorry for the female hormone derailing! But def consider a visit to your gp and a good multivitamin.

scaryclown Sun 21-May-17 11:22:31

Um, if thoughts that things aren't right keep coming up, then things aren't right. Don't suppress, medicate or label them away, address them, or the barriers to addressing them.

What thoughts come up in these times, and what would mean they wouldn't be there.

scaryclown Sun 21-May-17 11:25:21

Also It strikes me that you sound like someone who needs "me time' more frequently than you get it.

Teardropexplodes Sun 21-May-17 11:28:33

Do you need me time, or do you need more from your partner/family?
I feel unloved when I have too much me time. Too much time alone makes me ruminate and drive myself mad.

Smeaton Sun 21-May-17 11:30:48

Scaryclown

Some of the thoughts that run through my head, and others it seems, are irrational. When I'm not in my funk, I love my gf, DD my life. Everytins rock and roll and fab.
When the funk comes over me, it changes. Everything is black and there is no glimmer of hope. The gf hates me, she never shows me love, never wants to be near me. All my DD does is cry and tantrum and she would rather I weren't around. That person in Lidl that put their shopping in the belt and nipped back for a paper is obviously a fucking twat that should be beaten to death with the bag of cat food I'm carrying, the mood I'm in I could probably do it too, in facto think I will just to see what happens.
So on and so on.

At the time they don't appear irrational, when your clarity returns and the colour comes back then you can see just how ridiculous those thoughts and feelings are.

So yeah, things aren't right, but its not that they're not right between me and gf or me and DD or me and Lidl person, things aren't right in my head.

I hope that makes sense.

forcryinoutloud Tue 23-May-17 21:57:40

I am like this at the moment, fed up of everything and everyone, fed up of the outside world, worried about my kids all the time. Worried about my family. Don't particularly like my new house or garden, keep finding lots wrong with it that's pissing me off as it was a real struggle to get here. Sorry, not wanting to gate crash, but yes I do get really FED UP for several days at a time, not sure if there is any particular cycle.

SingaSong12 Tue 23-May-17 23:14:28

My moods relate to my periods so something that would just upset me one week will send me really low or feel an absolute failure at another time. At least now I've figured that out it helps me put things in perspective- if I feel really dreadful I can remember that part of it is the hormones.
It isn't a complete pattern - I do get very low at other times but it will take more to get me to that low place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now