Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Can depression come on very suddenly?

(7 Posts)
GoldenWondering Sat 20-May-17 22:13:59

Or does it have to be a gradual thing?

Stevieo Sat 20-May-17 22:17:43

Mine did, it gradually got worse but it pretty much came over me like a cloud over night. From first negative thoughts to being clinically depressed took around 2 months but the negative thoughts and general sadness came overnight.

chocolateworshipper Sat 20-May-17 23:26:22

I think everyone's experience is very different, so whilst it might not be the case for everyone, there isn't any reason why it shouldn't be the case for you

twattymctwatterson Sat 20-May-17 23:40:57

My experience of depression is that it occurs gradually, then all at once. I've always felt that the realisation that I'm depressed is very sudden, but when I think back it's been like boiling a frog - gradually getting worse and worse without me realising until it reaches an unbearable stage

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Sat 20-May-17 23:43:55

It definitely snowballs.

I guess most illness do if you don't spot them early on.

I'd been feeling 'down' for ages then one day it all came crashing down around me. But you don't know until you look back afterwards.

Rockhopper81 Sat 20-May-17 23:51:15

My experience has been similar to KingJoffreys - I'd been feeling 'down' for a while, things were making me feel 'low' more easily, then one day in December it felt like it suddenly hit me. It was the same day my closest friend actually said she was worried about me and wondered if my general anxiety level - that had been increasing - was now being effected by depression as well. She came with me to the GP. Then in January I just could not go to work - literally, I sat on the edge of the bed having a panic attack at the thought of leaving the house and going to work.

But, again as KingJoffrey said, I now see all the build up in the weeks/months leading up to December 'incident' - I didn't necessarily think it was anything more than my always-present anxiety kicking up several (lots!) of notches at the time.

forcryinoutloud Tue 23-May-17 22:00:20

Interesting thread, I have been wondering about this as I am feeling really negative at the moment and constantly think of all the shit that happens.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: