Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Re-accessing MH services

(2 Posts)
RyanStartedTheFire Fri 19-May-17 09:36:18

I've been ill since I was a young girl, exited MH services 6 or so years ago. Alienated half of the staff from missed appointments with CPN, clashes and disagreements with psychiatrist. I've been pretty stable since then, although mainly housebound with my two littles from my crippling anxiety. Every time I've reached out for help it's been denied. The local CPN won't see me because of my missed appointment history, I've seen my GP a few times but they gave me a leaflet for group therapy and sent me on my way. My anxiety is too bad for group therapy, I can't think of anything worse.

Recently I've spoken to my partner about suicide. I think about it a lot, but at the moment I feel on the edge. He doesn't seem to get it, and it scares him. He constantly minimises my illness, saying I'm normal. I feel like I'm losing my mind. I don't know what to say to be taken seriously, and I feel really alone. I don't know what the point of this post is, I'm hoping someone will understand. I've just started a new part time job, have exams next week that I know I will fail, and have two kids to juggle and at the moment, life seems like a burden. I worry that if I go back to my GP I will get brushed off, the only way I have got help before has been a suicide attempt, but I am scared they will take my kids away. What should I do?

NolongerAnxiousCarer Fri 19-May-17 18:21:13

You need to go back to your GP to discuss your suicidal feelings, you have an attempt in the past and it shouldn't need to get that far to be taken seriously. It should also increase your prority level as things are becoming more urgent. Its very unlikely the would take your children away for seeking help for suicidal thoughts.

Another place you can seek help for suicidal thoughts is A&E, you will probably have a long wait but they can get you an emergency psychiatric assessment and refer on to other services.

You could also speak to PALS in your area to make a complaint if you don't feel that you are getting any help. In my experience when people make complaints through PALS it often gets results.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: