Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Fluoxetine

(16 Posts)
Downmum2017 Thu 18-May-17 13:49:37

I have been on these since Jan when I switched over from Citalopram and I have found them helpful and felt things were getting better. Currently on 40mgs. However this last week or so a lot of stuff I neglected while I was depressed has caught up with me and my mood has deteriorated again. Doc has suggested increasing to 60mgs. Just wonder if anyone has any experience of being on this dose and whether it helped?

Anycakeisgoodcake Thu 18-May-17 13:52:06

Have you a strategy for dealing with the things you've 'missed' - even if that is bugger that, I'm not doing it or is it all still looming?

I like 'bugger that I'm not doing it' as a strategy btw.

Downmum2017 Thu 18-May-17 15:43:31

It's all still looming and may take a while to sort out. It isn't the kind of stuff I can say 'bugger it' to unfortunately. Debt mainly

Anycakeisgoodcake Thu 18-May-17 16:03:26

Do you believe that a bigger dose is going to help you find ways to sort it out? Or will it just help you not worry?

Have you spoken to anyone about the debt?

Downmum2017 Thu 18-May-17 16:53:40

I don't think a bigger dose will directly help sort it out but it might help me stay clearer headed, less overwhelmed and motivated to keep going to sort it all out. In general, I feel better but some days I still feel tired, down and like running away.

Anycakeisgoodcake Thu 18-May-17 18:34:24

Has the GP given you any advice? When I went on antids I found once they were working I had to bite the bullet and accept some stuff was going to have to be plodded through, It's not easy though big hugs for you.

Downmum2017 Thu 18-May-17 18:54:09

I definitely need to do the plodding through bit. It's hard though. Sometimes I feel like I take one step forward and two back. I'm not asking for much in life, just not to have to worry as much as I do x

Anycakeisgoodcake Thu 18-May-17 20:09:07

Have you spoken to a debt counsellor?

CocoaLeaves Thu 18-May-17 20:54:39

I found 60mg made me feel worse, like I was drugged, whereas 40 had helped. I then tapered off completely as it put me off. Citizens Advice Bureau can advise on debt, I think

Downmum2017 Fri 19-May-17 09:05:02

Thanks to you both for your advice and support. I have spoken to someone about the debt but it will take a while to get organised and in the meantime there are threats of action against me which stresses me out even further. I guess my concern about the 60mg is that I may feel drugged but doctor seemed to think it would perk me up (my words not hers) rather than drag me down. Anyway I'm going to try it and can always reduce back down again if it isn't ready. In the meantime, I'm stuck trying to keep my head above water x

CocoaLeaves Sat 20-May-17 07:08:07

Has your GP run blood tests for the tiredness to rule out anaemia? If you have obvious social problems which seem to explain your mental state, it can be easy for doctors to miss physical ones in my experience.
I realise money is an issue, but you can get cheap b vitamin and mineral complexes from supermarkets, if you are not already taking something like this.
Good luck with sorting things outflowers

Downmum2017 Sat 20-May-17 09:57:04

Hi cocoaleaves,
Yes GP has been really good and is monitoring physical health. I have an under active thyroid which I am on medication for, I was previously anemic but that has been treated and is ok. Most recent tests showed very low Vit D levels so have been started on supplements for those. Both the underactive thyroid and the Vit D can both cause memory problems, confusion and contribute to low mood so hopefully treating those will help too but whilst there are still ongoing social problems it's hard to see the benefits as things as continuing to drag me down but fingers crossed x

CocoaLeaves Sat 20-May-17 10:10:41

Everything passes, though. I know that sounds trite, but making sure you are on top of physical problems will help you deal with the social ones, so I am glad your GP is on top of that. One step at a time.

Things got on top of me when I was ill and dealing with them is part of the road to recovery. Make sure you have as much support as you can get. And yes, if the fluoxetine drags you down more, taper back down.

Downmum2017 Sat 20-May-17 10:35:49

Do you have any helpful strategies for dealing with things practically. On Thursday I managed quite a bit although it was emotional and draining but yesterday I did very little. Today I'm feeling bad because I did very little other than think things through yesterday. I have some support in terms of people I can talk to but very little practical support (other than the debt management company) so it's all on me to sort. I have got to the stage before where I started to sort through things and things seemed better but then my motivation reduced and I let them slip again. I don't know how to get on top of them and keep on top of them long term x

BuffyChiro Sat 20-May-17 10:43:24

I've been on 60 mg fluoxetine since July last year. I don't feel drugged. My only issue is that I feel a bit cut-off from emotions. While I don't get very sad, I also don't get very happy. This is still preferable to the suicidal lows I was experiencing before.

I think increasing to 60mg to help you to get through the stuff you need to do would help - you can then decide if you'd like to stay at that dose or reduce it back down.

Downmum2017 Sat 20-May-17 11:11:32

Thank Buffy Chiro, that's really helpful feedback and reassuring. I don't mind not having the highs or the lows. Consistency in my mood on a daily basis sounds like bliss. I have fleeting thoughts of suicide but this is in response to feeling overwhelmed by sorting things out, when really I just want them sorted so I can have some peace and quiet. I don't want an exciting life, I'm happy at home, reading and pottering around, I just want to not have to worry about money and security etc. Hopefully the 60mg will help enough to sort through the backlog and then I can make a decision about whether to stick with it or reduce back down x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now