Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

I think I have an anxiety disorder

(13 Posts)
thingersandfumbs Wed 17-May-17 11:13:02

I'm seeing my GP (the lovely fit one, natch) this afternoon because I don't think I can go on any longer. Life has been very stressful for a long time and I was treated for depression four years ago. I'm wondering now if it was ever depression or if it was anxiety then. I know more myself now from working with others with MH issues and it's definitely anxiety rather than depression for me.

I can't live with the constant stomach churning fear and dread anymore. I get regular acid reflux episodes which seem to be linked with when I'm more anxious. I'm already on hypertension meds but I have stress headaches and pounding in my ears several times a day (even though my BP remains within normal). My sleeping is shit - I'm very restless. Not sleepless as such, just coming to and drifting off again, but that still has an impact on my sleep. The only time I sleep well is when DP stays over. I'm constantly on the edge and alert for danger.

I've tried everything I can think of to help myself. I've been exercising more. I'm moderating my drinking. I've been taking control of my house, which had got a little out of hand. I get out and about every single day. I practice breathing techniques and mindfulness. I do CBT. I think meds is the next step.

Everyone says to focus on your response to stress, try not to worry about the things that you can't change. I can't change any of the stress I'm under and I can't seem to change my responses anymore either.

I don't know if I'm looking for responses, maybe I'm just wanting to say it out loud and this is the closest thing so far. If you have read, thank you.

blue2014 Wed 17-May-17 11:33:54

Best of luck, I hope it goes well. Have you tried mindfulness too?

thingersandfumbs Wed 17-May-17 12:08:02

Thank you for responding. Yes I do that most days too. I'm all for self help smile

blue2014 Wed 17-May-17 12:16:11

You sound amazing Thingers smile

thingersandfumbs Wed 17-May-17 16:28:21

Thank you. Everyone says that and sometimes I even believe them wink

He gave me sertraline. He agreed that I'm doing everything I can myself yet it's still spiralling out of control. I'm a bit nervous. When I tried citalopram it made me feel quite sick, although it did help in the long run so I need to persevere.

It felt good to tell someone I wasn't ok actually. I've told a couple of friends but no one else really. Everyone else says how well I'm coping with the stress but I know I haven't been for a long time really. So it's a bit of a relief to get it out.

Branleuse Wed 17-May-17 16:42:26

i think you need some proper anxiety medication, not an ssri.
ive been on fluanxol for years and you can take it as and when, or continuously. Maybe ask your doctor

wren23091 Wed 17-May-17 16:47:56

If you're the type that likes a practical approach, I very much recommend Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Dummies (actually, i recommend it regardless wink) very helpful without being patronising, and genuinely interesting to understand how CBT as an approach actually works!

BengalLioness Wed 17-May-17 17:05:09

I'm going through the same thing at the moment , it is horrible going through this and I hope your GP can provide you with some support. I have depressive anxiety. I'm taking propronalol for the adrenaline and omeprazole for the sick feeling. This is helping me get through work without having panic attacks. CBT is also meant to be good. I have been offered Talk Therapy as well to get to the root of the problem.

Hopefully things will start getting better and you can get your life on track again xx

blue2014 Wed 17-May-17 17:09:42

Hope the meds help smile

ShiningArmour Wed 17-May-17 17:22:59

I've been on sertraline for anxiety and it helped me immensely smile

thingersandfumbs Wed 17-May-17 21:41:11

Thanks all!

I've been practising cbt for four years now. It really helps with preventing panic attacks from happening as I can head them off at the pass with that and a lot of positive self talk.

I've seen sertraline used very successfully to treat anxiety from the other side of the professional relationship so I'm happy giving it a whirl.

And I've found out that I can get plenty of counselling via my workplace which is excellent as I really liked the last man I saw but I couldn't afford to keep up with it.

All in all I feel a bit more positive tonight. flowers

blue2014 Wed 17-May-17 21:52:14

Ah that's brill Thingers (you also have an ace usernamesmile)

Foureyesarebetterthantwo Wed 17-May-17 21:58:10

You sound like you are doing amazingly well to put all these things into place, hope the meds take the edge off and just rebalance things for you the rest will help long-term as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now