Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Anxiety

(6 Posts)
Vegecook Sun 14-May-17 11:11:06

This is so silly but I've had a lightbulb moment. My anxiety is rooted in my need to control things. It seems so obvious now the thought is there but i really didn't get it before. I'm getting worse and I have to get a hold of it. So how do i 'control' my feelings about things i cant 'control'?

rogueantimatter Sun 14-May-17 11:38:48

Have you tried meditation?

I know what you mean about having a lightbulb moment - not silly at all. I realised in a flash, that what I thought was worry about small things was more annoyance or irritation.

I get your need to feel in control. I've found that life experiences over which I had little or no control have taught me that we can't control very much really, but we still manage.

Vegecook Thu 18-May-17 22:05:45

Thanks for your reply Rogue, apologies for taking so long to get back to you. My issue with meditation is 'quieting' my mind, I've just downloaded the Headspace app though and will give it a try. If you have any tips for getting the hang of meditation that would be really helpful.

You're right about not being able to control very much and I need to really believe that and stop the nonsense that goes on in my head. My heart pounds, my body is a tense mess and I end up in the loo when I'm really bad and most of the time its so unnecessary.

Redfluffysocks Fri 19-May-17 08:06:14

It's the same with me Vegecook. I worry about things that I have no control of and the fact that I can do nothing about it sends my mind into a whirlwind of fear and the constant "what if" thoughts. I worry about certain things that have happened and the consequences and need to learn to accept that I can't affect the outcome of certain problems. But I can't ☹️

Blueseriph Fri 19-May-17 20:51:37

Hello. I am running a stress management course in Wimbledon based on mindfulness, NLP, neuroscience and coaching.

The beta class is only £50 (will be £150 in the future) in exchange for feedback about the course.

The techniques are designed to help with stress, anxiety, and 'negative' thoughts/feelings. More info can be found here: www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/joyful-mums-stress-management-course-tickets-34716565181

YoungMummy95 Tue 23-May-17 11:40:49

I started getting very bad anxiety after my son had a seizure constantly feel something bass going to happen to him and that he's not we'll always taking him to docs and they just thought i was being paranoid and that i wasn't coping for weeks i put myself through so much to try get a point across to doctors my family and friends that i wasn't crazy that he was actually ill, i can't sleep at night can't eat have lost so much weight I feel drained cut everyone off, only leave house for hospital appointment or doctors, as soon as car door opens my chest goes right and my vision starts going fuzzy feel like i can't breath, I didn't notice at first i scratch my skin till it bleeds don't realise until ihave done it. Don't know what i can do it's getting worse and can't control it anymore, but on he plus side me being paranoid about my son being ill was eventually take serious after 3 complex seizures in the one day due to influenza and complications

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now