Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Psychosis

(8 Posts)
wheresthepinkyponk Wed 26-Apr-17 20:46:56

Will try not to ramble on but I have no one that understands how I feel. Have had 2 psychosis episodes in last 4 years. Last one was more than 3 years ago. Was sectioned 1st time, hospitalised for 10 days 2nd time. I frequently have thoughts of psychics telling me I am going to die soon. I try to rationalise it but they are so detailed, I panic that it's definitely going to happen tomorrow, or maybe psychic said next week, it goes on and on. This last week I have hardly slept as voices in my head keep me awake. I have been very stressed recently which dosnt help I know. Been prescribed aripiprazole but didn't seem to be working anymore. Does anyone have any other medicine recommendations please?

AntiHop Wed 26-Apr-17 20:49:43

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well. You really need to see your doctor.

KeemaNaan Wed 26-Apr-17 23:03:35

Have you ever looked into OCD? Mainly obsessive thought, which is where intrusive thoughts repeat over and over in your head. Stress can bring it on, getting it to stop is trickier as it takes practice and lots of distraction.

Can you get to see your doc and see if they can give you a short course of zopiclone or diazepam to relax you a bit and get you to sleep, while you work on breaking these thoughts.

hayleyB79 Thu 27-Apr-17 06:47:04

Hi I can understand how you're feeling as have experienced psychosis myself so sorry you're going through this. Do you see a cpn or care coordinator regularly? If not I agree you need to see your gp about getting some help with your sleep problems as lack of sleep was a trigger for psychosis with me. I've been told there are a few different types of antipsychotics that can be used so you can discuss this too.

NolongerAnxiousCarer Fri 28-Apr-17 20:08:30

Hi,

DH suffers with episodes of psychosis. He has found olanzapine useful. What support do you have? With DH the window where he has insight into getting unwell is relatively small. Do you have a CPN you can contact?

wheresthepinkyponk Fri 28-Apr-17 20:42:31

I was given olanzapine after being sectioned but came off it due to large weight gain. 9 lbs in a week! Been on and off aripiprazole for last 3.5 years. Currently on 15mg. Was under early intervention service but ended after 3 years, last summer. Not under any care apart from g.p but I feel scared even going to g.p. Dark thoughts have subsided since Wednesday and have slept a bit more at night.

Celegans Fri 28-Apr-17 21:03:02

Hi pinky my partner is on the aripiprazole depot and he has not been this well in years. Before this he was on the tablets but he needs to take them every day for months before they have the full effect and he wasn't doing this and got really ill and was sectioned for months.

He has now not been sectioned for more than 2 years, which hasn't happened for about 10 years.

For him it's been the drug with the least side effects with the best control of his symptoms. I would not give up on it without trying the depot.

If you are feeling this unwell you really need to see your gp it's just not something you can deal with on your own.

NolongerAnxiousCarer Fri 28-Apr-17 21:54:58

Definately worth seeing your GP you could ask to be refered back to community mental health team. 3 stable years is good going and maybe things need tweaking or you need a boost of support to keep you on track.

DH has put on loads of weight on the olanzapine too, but it allows him to lead a normal life so its worth the trade off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now