Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

I want to reduce my citalopram from 20mg to 10mg. How best to do this?

(6 Posts)
NoOneLikesACrispyTowel Mon 24-Apr-17 10:05:51

I've tried twice and failed miserably. Literally.

The first time a doctor told me to take one less tablet one week day first then on two week days the second week, then 3 weeks days the third week etc etc until is reduced.

It was FAR to fast and it didn't work. It was fine for a while then I delved into a very dark low depression.

I tried again and did it over a couple months this time and all seemed fine until I'd been on 10mg for a couple of weeks and bam! the depression hit.

I never actually took it for depression, I took it because my friend was dying and I needed to look after her with a clear head and not constantly crying. Citalopram gave me the much needed strength to do so.

When I come off the citalopram the depression isn't my 'true state' underneath it. It's a reaction from coming off it.

I want to reduce to 10mg successfully this time, how shall I do it?

Help please, or experience?

NolongerAnxiousCarer Fri 28-Apr-17 19:02:44

Sorry no personal experience, bumping for you. The GP or pharmacist would probably be the best people to ask.

ineedamoreadultieradult Fri 28-Apr-17 19:08:34

I have just gone from 20mg a day to 10mg in the last few days. I can feel the difference but I'm also in a place now where I can recognise it is the drugs (or lack thereof) causing me to feel this way. Ive been using my mindfulness practices, that I learnt through work as a way of them supporting me through my depression diagnosis, to help me get through any times I start to feel myself floundering. Did you have any other techniques given to you that you can draw upon to help you cope with the lower dosage?

EBearhug Fri 28-Apr-17 21:32:28

I cut down slowly by cutting tablets in half (though I was initially coming down from 40mg.) This probably isn't the best way, but it worked for me, because I felt like I had control. I could take it slowly, over several weeks, and if I felt I wasn't coping, I stopped reducing for a while.

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Sat 29-Apr-17 08:26:55

I was given Citralopram because the quacks diagnosed recurrent depressive disorder. It could be that you have a tendency to depression which may keep coming back to bite you.

EmpressOfTheSpartacusOceans Sat 29-Apr-17 08:37:29

I started off on 40mg too. When I was coming off I bought a pill cutter and alternated 35/40 for a month, then stayed at 35 for a month & so on. Eventually I was on 2.5 and then off.

I could feel the shifts happening in my brain, even going that slowly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now