Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Do I need sectioning? How do I do it?

(11 Posts)
thisfeelingsucks Sun 23-Apr-17 22:48:28

Been depressed for years. On medication.
Had a few attempts at Suicide, latest one was 3 years ago and I only just survived, when released from hospital (was in icu) had crisis team.
Since then my physical health has been poor and after it being blamed on mental health it was a relief when I do have a physical problem and not being told it's all in my head.

Anyway. Feeling shit. Suicude thoughts are constant. I've children and they are the only thing stopping me but I'm worried I'll do something stupid. I need help but not just crisis team or GP again.
How can I get myself admitted?
I've pushed everyone away from me and spend all my free time crying/thinking of ways to die/ researching suicude techniques.

Sounds silly but I don't want to see a health care professional because it will go in my notes and my pain will be put as psychological again and I've fought years to detach from that and be believed it's real.

I'm 25, want to die, chronically ill yet on the outside everyone sees me as a happy bubbly person.

Feel so guilty feeling like this

Sorry this is all rambling and don't know if it will make sense.

To sum up is there anyway I can be an inpatient on a ward until this passes? I don't trust myself not to do anything.

MrsWildermac Sun 23-Apr-17 22:52:18

Go to A&E and tell them how you feel. So sorry that you're feeling this way. Is there anyone supporting you in RL?

PurpleDaisies Sun 23-Apr-17 22:55:00

To be an inpatient you'll have to see a medical professional. You don't have to be sectioned-you can choose to be admitted voluntarily. Probably the easiest way to do that is to speak to your crisis team, which I know you're not keen on but they're used to sorting out admissions.

If you think you're going to hurt yourself you can go to A and E tonight.

Sorry you're feeling like this. It can get better and there are people out there who can help you if you reach out. flowers

thisfeelingsucks Sun 23-Apr-17 23:14:46

Tried talking to my mum and DP but they just don't understand and tell me to think positive.
I live rurally and only one unit (12 beds) in the county.
How does it work? I'm worried I'll be turned away, I know it's so hard to get a bed.
I hate this 😞

LornaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 24-Apr-17 08:37:16

Hello OP, we are really sorry to hear you are feeling this way.

We hope you don't mind, but when these threads are flagged up to us we usually add a link to our Mental Health resources. You can also go to the Samaritans website, or email them on Support from other Mumsnetters is great and we really hope you will be able to take some comfort from your fellow posters, but as other MNers will tell you, it's really a good idea to seek RL help and support as well.

We also like to remind everyone that, although we're awed daily by the astonishing support our members give each other through life's trickier twists and turns, we'd always caution anyone never to give more of themselves to another poster, emotionally or financially, than they can afford to spare.

thisfeelingsucks Mon 24-Apr-17 10:12:49

Thanks @LornaMumsnet

NolongerAnxiousCarer Mon 24-Apr-17 10:13:40

As others have said A&E or crisis team are the best places to go/call right now. The crisis team number should be available online or through your local hospital switchboard. If you go to A&E it will likely be crisis team who see you there too. You can ask to be admitted voluntarily (sectioning is admiting you against your will). You can't be admitted without seeing a healthcare proffessional and once admitted you would definately see proffesionals anyway. Staying alive has to be the priority right now and as you now have a diagnosis for your physical problem it shouldn't impact on that. I work in a hospital for physical health and we can not view anyones mental health notes. All we would get is the word depression in your history which would already be there anyway by the sounds of it.

They will admit you if they don't feel you can be kept safe at home, so explain this and the plans you are making the research etc as you have done here. It may not be your local hospital though if there are no beds.

thisfeelingsucks Mon 24-Apr-17 10:27:03

Thank you no longer I didn't realise that about the separate notes.

NolongerAnxiousCarer Mon 24-Apr-17 12:14:54

Thats how it works where I am anyway. I think most if not all areas now the mental health trusts are seperate from the physical health trusts. In the old days we used to get psychiatric notes in patients hospital notes but Ive not seen that for years. Confidentiality law states that you can only access past records that are relevant to the pressent issue. Its unlikely that the detail of your psychiatric care would ever be relevant so attempting to access your mental health record even if it was possible (it's not where I work) would be a sackable offense. In some areas with computerised records you will be asked if you consent to organisations sharing relevant data. You don't have to consent to this. If you were an inpatient due to your physical health and the Drs asked for a psychiatric review/opinion thats the only time the mental health team would document in your physical health notes.

I'm assuming that the mental health team communicate with your GP as you GP co ordinates your mental and physical health needs. I would imagine this is a summary rather than full details.

Catrina1234 Mon 24-Apr-17 17:26:21

So sorry you're feeling so bad and as a fellow sufferer can empathise with you. Can I ask has your mental health got worse lately, as you say you have suffered for years. Do you have a diagnosis - and has the GP referred you to a consultant psychiatrist. Sorry to ask so many questions! Are you in secondary care i.e. you have support from someone from the Community Mental Health Team. I'm not sure how it works in your area, but here you would need to see a GP who could refer you to the CMHT or the psychiatrist. It would be their decision as to whether you would be admitted.

I'm wondering why you want to be an inpatient - is it maybe to just get some rest and peace for a while. I've been an IP on 2 occasions and they really didn't do anything to help. The nurses weren't interested in the patients with a few exceptions. It was intensely boring - food was awful and some of the other patients were troublesome.

Please ensure whoever you see takes note of your suicidal intention and that you have made an attempt in the past. I get very severe suicidal thoughts but it's suicide ideation (meaning that I think about it/plan it but sort of know I won't do it, but you sound further down the line than that so please get some help asap.

As you know there is a huge shortage of beds in MH hospitals but someone from the CMHT can visit daily, sometimes 3 times a day which you might find better.

thisfeelingsucks Mon 24-Apr-17 18:28:17

@Catrina1234 yes been diagnosed, was under CAMHS as a child and been on anti depressants since I was 16 (9 years) but took until a year ago to find the "right" ones for me (fluoxetine and amytriptline) and I've been ok apart from the odd day but that's normal for anyone.
This feeling and planning has been the first time I'm like this.
I think with being an IP I'm somewhere where I know I won't try anything and can adjust meds in a safe environment if that makes sense?
In the past I've made attempts without thought and have ended up in icu so that's why I'm planning it to be "proper".

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: