Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

I really don't want to ask the doctors about my symptoms

(17 Posts)
TheFrenchLieutenantsMonkey Sat 22-Apr-17 22:49:58

I don't know what to do.

I'm having some mental health worries but i cannot bring myself to go to the doctors about it. I'm having some other physical problems and i'm concerned that if I ask about anything to do with mental health all my physical symptoms will be attributed to anxiety and depression. Whereas I think the depression is more down to the pain and spasms I get.
I don't know what to do!
I feel so down. I'm trying my level best not to self-harm.
I have one child with autism, one that is going through diagnosis which came as a shock and one child I'm trying to raise by giving them enough attention without favouring them or to the detriment of my other children. I haven't go t a job because I get frequent calls regarding the children.
I found myself wanting to just run away but I can't because I can't afford it.
I see things on the internet or TV and my mind plays it back with hideous scenarios involving losing my children or husband or myself and the pain that that would cause them. I can't stop crying and I am finding hard to go out of the house without worrying constantly about what might happen.

NolongerAnxiousCarer Sat 22-Apr-17 23:01:15

Wow, you have a lot on your plate. I find with self harm thatvthe urges tend to come when my stress levels are high so I'm not surprised you are struggling. I think that physical and mental health problems tend to bounce off each other, but I understand your concers about your physical problems being overlooked as unfortunately we know this happens angry How about booking a double appointment and emphisising the physical problems first explaining how you feel they are impacting on your mental health rather than starting with the anxiety and depression.

TheFrenchLieutenantsMonkey Sat 22-Apr-17 23:15:42

I have an appointment with a really nice doctor on Thursday to discuss the physical stuff as I've had some investigations and they can't find anything that explains it which is why i'm worried that if i bring it up it'll all be put down to psychological pain caused by stress.
I really can't accept that my spasming muscles and my clicking bones are anything to do with feeling as though my children may be swept away by a tsunami (not a common occurance in the N.E of England but my latest horror that comes into my mind unbidden)

Wolfiefan Sat 22-Apr-17 23:18:59

Does the clicking give you pain? I have lots of clicky joints and they don't bother me.
The thing is that if you don't mention it then you will continue to have these thoughts. Pain can (I think from my experience) be exacerbated by MH issues. It seems worse. If that makes any sense.
flowers
Because you have so much going on right now.

NolongerAnxiousCarer Sat 22-Apr-17 23:35:19

I have had functional problems (problems with no physical cause) theres a good website www.neurosymptoms.org that explains a range of different problems that can be caused by psychological issues from fits, to paralysis, to pain and disociation. Its an interesting site. I'm not saying that this is the case for you, but if the tests rule out any physical cause its worth a look.

TheFrenchLieutenantsMonkey Sun 23-Apr-17 16:07:26

Thank you for the responses. I think I'll just wait and see how I feel on Thursday.
That site looks interesting.

Nutmeg4321 Sun 23-Apr-17 18:21:41

I suggest you write yourself a list of exactly what you want to discuss with your Gp when you go to see him on Thursday. If I don't write myself a list my mind blanks out and I forget some of the things I want to say until I am leaving the medical centre. Good luck OP flowers

Nutmeg4321 Sun 23-Apr-17 18:27:33

I suggest you write a list of everything you want to discuss when you see the gp on Thursday. If I don't write myself a list I always go blank and remember things as I am leaving the medical centre. Good luck OP flowers

Nutmeg4321 Sun 23-Apr-17 18:30:22

Sorry I didn't mean to send that twice. I didn't think it had posted the first time!

TheFrenchLieutenantsMonkey Sun 23-Apr-17 23:15:23

I'll do that. DH has said he'll help me too.

user1492636556 Sun 23-Apr-17 23:44:58

@TheFrenchLieutenantsMonkey A few years ago I started suffering from horrendous chest pains out of the blue. It would send me into a massive panic thinking there was something seriously wrong with me. I kept going to see my gp who each time fobbed me off saying it was anxiety. - Well duhhh of course I was anxious!! I was having bloody chest pains lol.

I also was having a very traumatic home life at the time and have had depression on and off most of my life so just ended up suffering in silence.

The pain all got too much eventually and I requested another gp. Turns out they were much more understanding and I was diagnosed with costochonditis which is a harmless condition and ends up normally clearing up by itself, but it has exactly the same symptoms as a heart attack.

What I'm trying to say is that don't be scared to request another opinion if you feel like your being fobbed off at your appointment under the guise that it's just MH issues as yes some Drs do get it wrong!

Good luck with your appointment and I hope you get the help you need smile

TheFrenchLieutenantsMonkey Mon 24-Apr-17 18:01:09

Thank you. I am dreading goung. I have zero energy. My DSis wanted to go.shopping for clothes today and I was so tired and in pain that I just wanted to cry.

TheFrenchLieutenantsMonkey Thu 27-Apr-17 23:03:17

I gave the doctor the list. She told me she couldn't deal with everything today what one thing did I want to choose. But they're all part of the same thing. But I had to pick the cramps. I feel so Down. Why bother. I have to go for another blood test because they've lost it. Twice. I can't keep doing this. I hurt so much I just want it all to stop.

NolongerAnxiousCarer Fri 28-Apr-17 20:43:49

Can you book a double appointment to discuss the rest of the list?

TheFrenchLieutenantsMonkey Fri 28-Apr-17 21:06:43

The list basically says I'm in pain. Everywhere. Mostly due to cramps. I've been seeing the doctors for 2 years about the same thing. Her exact words were I have no idea what to do now.

TheFrenchLieutenantsMonkey Fri 28-Apr-17 21:08:38

I may go back and risk being told that it's all due to stress/anxiety because I honestly feel so down about it that today I contemplated hurting myself just so someone would listen to me.

NolongerAnxiousCarer Fri 28-Apr-17 22:10:04

How about asking to see a different Dr for a second opinion?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now