Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Are work right?

(7 Posts)
MrsBosh Fri 21-Apr-17 13:09:18

A month ago I had a doctor appointment on Friday after work. The doc signed me off for two weeks (that Fri to one a fortnight later). Reason was depression and anxiety disorder.
I phoned in work first thing Monday and explained and they asked me to post them my doctor note which I did.
I've since returned to work - all fine - had a brief meeting with manager on return and they were fairly supportive.
However this morning I was asked to fill in a sickness self certification form. Surely this is not correct? My doctors note coveted the dates I was off. I didn't self cert.
I politely said I didn't think it was needed and the deputy said she'd check with the main manager on Monday. Am I right? I'm getting myself really anxious and worried about it.
Can anyone help?
Thanks.

MrsBosh Fri 21-Apr-17 13:09:56

*covered not coveted

Joto369 Fri 21-Apr-17 13:33:23

You self cert for the first 7 days and then the gp note is needed. It doesn't mean anything either way though do don't worry

NolongerAnxiousCarer Fri 21-Apr-17 16:50:37

When my GP signed me off in similar circumstances I've not had to self cert. I think you are right, but PP is also right that it doesn't make any difference so is nothing to wory about.

MrsBosh Fri 21-Apr-17 18:02:15

Thanks, Joto and No. The anxious and irrational part of me thinks that if I self cert it will count as two absences and won't be as 'worthy' as a doctor's note is. My workplace unfortunately are quite mistrusting of people when they are ill as their sickness rate is terrible. Basically I don't want it to reflect poorly on me when I believe I did the right thing in getting signed off rather than deciding myself that I was ill? The doctor proves it?

Jellybean85 Fri 21-Apr-17 18:07:23

Is tore a ligament in my leg and due to the nature of work was signed off.
I was the same, they asked for the form, apparently it covers the first three days i didn't need a Drs note.
Filled it in and it was fed away with dr note and never mentioned again. I wouldn't worry

GahBuggerit Fri 21-Apr-17 18:07:34

You can ask to see your sickness record to check how it's been recorded

Some companies ask for a self cert for the period long with a fit note for records, i wouldn't worry about that (daft to say in the circs I know)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now