Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Panic Disorder sufferers?

(4 Posts)
ChloLauxxx Thu 20-Apr-17 18:23:27

I'd love to speak to other mams in the same boat!
I'm 25, Mam of 3yr old twin boys. I was diagnosed with panic disorder when I was 11. Then I got better (kind of) then baaaaam!
It's been awful for the past maybe 4 year now. Just wondering if anyone else suffers and does any alternative therapies etc. I currently take Sertraline, mirtazapine and propananol to ease my symptoms. I do CBT too.
I also suffer from terrible depressive episodes due to it, I self harm and I've had several suicide attempts.
I don't currently have many close friends so thought I'd try my luck reaching out in other places smile

NolongerAnxiousCarer Fri 21-Apr-17 18:59:32

I'm not a Mum, but I've suffered pannic attacks as part of PTSD. I'm also on Mirtazapine. I've found meditation, mindfulness, exercise and EFT helpful in managing it. The EFT (emotional freedom techneque ) was particularly helpful if I could feel a pannic attack starting. The best thing for me thoug was seeing a therapist for Eye Movement Integration ( IEMT ) that was like a magic wand, it stopped my pannic attacks after the first session.

Ashers40 Sat 22-Apr-17 00:23:54

How does that work NolongerAnxious? Did your GP refer you for that?

NolongerAnxiousCarer Sat 22-Apr-17 11:05:21

IEMT uses eye movements to process difficult memories. I think its specifically aimed at PTSD to help resolve the trauma, but I've been told it can be useful for anxiety and depression too. Certainly some of the memories I worked through from childhood probably wouldn't be considered trauma, more unpleasant memories of bullying and childhood accidents. I saw someone privately, I'm not sure if it is offered on the NHS. EMDR is a similar therapy which is offered to PTSD sufferers on the NHS and reccommend in the NICE guidelines as one of 2 treatments with evidence of effectiveness in treating PTSD.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now