Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Severe PMS treatments? But not antidepressants

(6 Posts)
Ceetee23 Thu 20-Apr-17 17:59:33

Hi since having my daughter my time from ovulation until about 4 days into my period is awful. Dark depression, anxiety, so tired, head foggy, confused.

I cannot tolerate anti depressants. I've tried fluoxetine, citalopram, sertraljne and imipramine. All at low doses have caused awful reactions and plunge me to brink of suicide! Anxiety and agitation awful. I've been under a psychiatrist at the hospital and they just don't want to prescribe any more anti d due to my adverse reactions nor do I want to go through it again. I'm really not anti them, if they worked I'd be on them in a shot.

What other treatments have others found helpful? I've now been prescribed Marvillon, a combined pill to take constantly, so with no 7 pill free days.

Any help appreciated as can't go on like this X

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 20-Apr-17 18:01:47

Mine was extreme too. The only thing that has ever worked for me is the mirena coil.

Ceetee23 Thu 20-Apr-17 18:03:29

That's good to know. Another option. Do you get any symptoms now?

FrizzBombDelight Thu 20-Apr-17 18:11:24

I have suffered years of anxiety and debilitating depression and for me the only thing that has helped is coming off all hormones. I now truly believe all forms of hormonal birth control have devastating effect on the fine balance of our own natural hormones. I will never go near the things again! However, it took me about a year or more to notice a difference. It was a very slow process. All these things are linked. I now take no anti d's, sleeping tabs, etc so it was totally worth it. Also, have you looked into how your gut bacteria affects your mental health? Sounds crazy but again, I'm a total convert and living proof that the cycle can be broken. Good luck!

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 20-Apr-17 18:28:27

I do but it's much more manageable. My PMS symptoms included paranoia and agoraphobia, not a great mix when you're trying to hold down a job. Plus I had horrendously heavy periods. Although I still have periods, many women on the mirena don't, they are much lighter.

It took about 3 months to settle but lasts for 5 years. My consultant said if I still needed help I could have Oestogen patches too, so similar to HRT.

Have you thought of getting yourself referred to an Gynaecologist? Our local hospital has a special PMS clinic.

Ceetee23 Thu 20-Apr-17 19:30:19

They said they would refer me if the pill didn't work. So I will push for that. Thanks for the info.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now