Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Which ADs to try? What else do posters do?

(9 Posts)
justanillusion Wed 19-Apr-17 08:17:14

Its time to tackle things properly or life is going to pass me by.

I have tried Citalopram and Sertraline. Citalopram didn't seem to help and Sertraline at maximum dose maybe helped a little, nothing amazing, but i had horrible sweats, hair completely soaked through quite frequently. I thought it was menopause but when i stopped Sertraline the sweating disappeared. Sorry, grim i know.

I haven't taken anything in over 6 months. Is it a case of pot luck what the GP would try next. or is there a different category/type?

My diet is shit so i can tackle that and exercise. Maybe try establish better sleep habits.

I think i will also start taking iron, vit d and I've seen omega 3 mentioned. Is there anything else posters take/do?

How does anyone stay motivated?!

Brokejoke Wed 19-Apr-17 09:11:19

I used to take quetiapine and sertraline. I was on sertraline but still had problems so they put me on quetiapine as well. I certainly slept much better but I felt tired and groggy all the time. I got the night sweats too but had never associated it with the medication until reading your post. I stopped taking both when I found out I was pregnant three years ago. I have taken vitamin D consistently since then and I don't know if it's a coincidence but I have generally been much better. Still have my bad days sometimes but nothing like I used to.

Brokejoke Wed 19-Apr-17 09:14:01

Another thing I try and do is get some fresh air each day. Even just a short walk to the local shops. I think walking is a great exercise if you are able to do it as you can control the pace, and (sorry if this sounds corny) but I like to try and appreciate nature, I look out for birds and flowers and trees... It helps me.

justanillusion Wed 19-Apr-17 17:02:22

Hi Brokejoke. Thanks. The appreciating nature thing isn't corny. I live by the sea which i love but i only ever go with DC. I could go for lovely walks instead of moping. I was prescribed vit D a few years back but forgot about it so probably worth trying.

NolongerAnxiousCarer Wed 19-Apr-17 20:44:47

I've found Flouxitine helpful in the past but it didn't help this time. I'm on mirtrazapine which isn't a SSRI AD, which has helped this time but I've put on a lot of weight. Different things work for different people, and side effects vary so its finding what works for you.

I've also found vit D helpful. You could ask your GP to do some bloods to check your vitamin d, iron etc.

I also find meditation, mindfulness and exervise really help me.

justanillusion Sat 22-Apr-17 14:11:51

Thanks NoLonger. I saw a lovely GP who thought trying another SSRI useful. I have a prescription for Escitalopram which is apparently different to Citalopram which I tried before.

I'm trying better diet, vitamins and exercise.

Oddly i find the idea of meditation or mindfulness makes me feel quite panicky. I tend to "fill" my brain constantly. I even sleep with TV or audio books running. Maybe i will look into it.

AgentCooper Sat 22-Apr-17 14:18:16

Hi just, I've been on Citalopram and now on Sertraline (have been for a couple of years). I don't actually feel it's up to much but am pregnant for the first time and don't want to change as Sertraline is meant to be safest for PG and BF. So I try to do what I can to keep mentally well (it's anxiety much more than depression for me).

I go swimming every day for 30 mins, do 20 mins of mindfulness meditation a day (from Mark Williams and Danny Penman's book & CD Mindfulness: Finding Peace in a Frantic World) and when I'm really feeling bad I sit down with Claire Weekes' book Self Help for Your Nerves. It's an old book but has never been out of print and contains lots of calm, sensible writing about setbacks, acceptance of symptoms and obsessive thinking.

justanillusion Sat 22-Apr-17 14:30:11

Ah, that rings a bell Agent. I've just checked and I've got Hope and Help for your nerves by Claire Weekes downloaded as an audio book. I must have seen mention of it. I have several i downloaded one night that i haven't listened to. I'll give it a go.

I have a Mindulness one i haven't listened to either.

Congratulations on your pregnancy. I hope the Sertraline works out.

AgentCooper Sat 22-Apr-17 14:50:12

CW is very good, just - I remember reading all this stuff that said 'this will be your Bible, you'll be cured instantaneously!' And while it doesn't quite work like that, I feel her writing has given me a perspective that is more developed than what I had before. She doesn't claim to cure you in 10 mins but does suggest that longterm use of her tools will be really useful and I agree. I used to think that acceptance of my MH symptoms meant accepting that I'd never get better but that's not it at all - it's more like learning not to be afraid of your feelings so they don't take over and I think that's very wise.

Thanks for the congrats and I do hope you feel well flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now