Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Citalopram making me crazy

(2 Posts)
Helsbells81 Tue 18-Apr-17 22:03:09

I have suffered with anxiety and depression for a lot of my life and have tried starting on citalopram many times however get very unnerved when I start to feel @odd@ should we say when the tablets start to kick in. I normally stop and mentally can bring myself out of the 'dark' time.

This time however I recognise the need for me to stick with them however I feel I am going crazy. My husband feels I am more confrontational, emotionally unstable going from extreme highs to lows. As for sex I have completely lost interest and just cant bare the thought. Its been 2 weeks now and I just feel like there is something wrong with me, a feeling I've never had before.
The nausea feeling and light headedness really is knocking me for six. I don't care what I look like, the house is a mess, the kids......... well the poor kids must hate me, all their friends doing stuff and I struggle to get off the sofa.
Please tell me this is normal, I just want my life back.

Mouseface Wed 19-Apr-17 11:22:12

Hi

THIS IS NORMAL! For you at least, we all react in our own ways to medication for our mental health.

I was on Citalopram for about 18 months as it took a good 6 months to do it's job for me, as with most SSRI's, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, it also depends on WHY you are using it. I was on it for severe anxiety and eventually took 40mg daily, working up from a starting point of 10mg.

It's also used for extreme depression too, again starting off on a small dose, increasing to a level that works for you. Alcoholics are sometimes prescribed it, as it can suppress the desire to drink, but given alcohol is a depressant in the first place, I'd avoid alcohol at all costs if you can.

I found that I went off sex completely but once my body had gotten used to the drug, I was fine, things settled down, and some elements of a normal (whatever that is) came back.

Don't worry about the housework, your husband or the children, you're putting too much pressure on yourself.

Instead, you could maybe make a list of all the things you want to do around the house, with the children, your husband and for YOU!

If you're anything like I was, I didn't take care of myself so showered less as it was too much of an effort, dressing? Not unless I had too!

Do the list and pick anything from it for today. Once you've done it, cross it out! Then the next and the next and then add to it as and when.

Some days I didn't get out of bed, never answered the door, my phone etc, they'd leave a message if it was important and then I'd deal with it.....

Do you feel like talking? You can self refer for help these days, in fact mental health groups prefer you to self refer.

Has that helped at all? You're not alone, but if you can, find some human support and just let it out. Whatever your "it" may be.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now