Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Advice about therapist

(5 Posts)
ZaziesPaws Mon 17-Apr-17 16:05:31

Been seeing a therapist for about 9 months. So far, it's been working well. Good rapport/connection, feeling stabilized, working through a lot. Actually like the person, very warm. I have progressed a lot.

However, this same thing keeps coming up. Whenever they take a holiday, they initially say they will be back on one date and will be available for appointments from then. Then they say they will contact me about arrangemenus for appointment following their holiday. Then they don't until after the provisional date is passed. Then there are email saying why they didn't contact as arranged- illness, extended holiday etc. Then a rescheduled appointment time offered, with no flexibility if that's not suitable.

On one level I get it is just human nature to not want to do back to work after holidays. I also know it's not about me. I think the therapist doesn't like letting people down, minimizes time they will be away, overcommits themselves, then just can't drag themselves back "early".

But it's starting to affect the therapeutic relationship, specifically my trust in them is being diminished. I would be fine if they just said "I'm taking two weeks off, I'll see you in x weeks". But I don't like being promised something, then left waiting round for information about it, then being let down.

I'm not sure what to do. I feel like I might be outgrowing this therapeutic relationship.

Do I broach the subject gently, say I've noticed a pattern, it's ok for them to tell me they'll be away for the proper length of time? Do I steer the relationship to a conclusion? Maybe see if there are other therapists in the area who are the next step.

HereInMyHead Fri 21-Apr-17 19:22:13

Yes, if it's getting in the way of an otherwise useful therapuetic relationship , then I would bring it up.

pepsiandshirley Fri 21-Apr-17 21:06:16

Yes, bring it up.

That kind of uncertainty would do me in.

Millie2013 Sat 22-Apr-17 21:43:56

I'm sorry, but I'd be looking for another therapist and I speak as both a therapist and a patient

StarTastic Sun 23-Apr-17 18:46:31

Yes bring it up. Definitely. Even if you still want to move on

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now