Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Does anyone know where I can get legal advice about reporting historical offences?

(10 Posts)
pepsiandshirley Mon 17-Apr-17 12:54:19

Hi,

Wasn't quite sure where to post this.

I'm considering reporting historic abuse, but it's complicated and I'd like some advice before approaching the police. Does anyone know an organisation that could help me with this?

Thanks.

FinallyReportedHim2 Mon 17-Apr-17 17:37:31

napac.org.uk/ may be a good place to start.

I went through the process recently (ending with guilty verdicts in Dec last year) - I'd be happy to help if I can.

FinallyReportedHim2 Mon 17-Apr-17 17:38:39

I also found this a really useful guide

rightsofwomen.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/From-Report-to-Court-a-handbook-for-adult-survivors-of-sexual-violence.pdf

pepsiandshirley Mon 17-Apr-17 20:53:04

Oh, thank you finally...I could do with some advice but I don't really know where to start. It's all so incredibly complicated sad

Congratulations on your guilty verdicts, that's really good to hear.

FinallyReportedHim2 Mon 17-Apr-17 20:56:26

PM me if you prefer. Happy to help if I can.

UnbornMortificado Mon 17-Apr-17 21:03:28

Pepsi have you posted this on the mental health board purposely?

I only ask as I have a friend who reported such offences, unfortunately it caused a lot of family upset, it really took its toll on her mental health and she ended up hospitalised. In the end it wasn't brought to court.

I think if she'd have had a bit more support around her things wouldn't have escalated so much.

Apologies if it's not MH related and not relevant.

pepsiandshirley Mon 17-Apr-17 21:09:57

Thank you finally I might PM you.

Unborn, I just posted here as I'm used to posting in mental health as I'm on PTSD thread and I got bollocked for posting something abuse related on the main boards before and told to post on mental health instead.

So stuck it here so as not to offend anyone, as I don't know if there is a legal bit..

UnbornMortificado Mon 17-Apr-17 21:54:12

Sorry I hadn't read your previous threads.

No experience personally but I hope you find some help and get a conviction and sorry for what you went through flowers

pepsiandshirley Tue 18-Apr-17 20:44:58

Thanks unborn

FinallyReportedHim2 Mon 24-Apr-17 17:55:39

Just checking how you are doing pepsi (I know I vacillated for months before finally taking the plunge!) Sending an unmumsnetly hug.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now