Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Anxiety meds and breast feeding?

(6 Posts)
DuckWaddle Sun 16-Apr-17 12:21:02

I'm currently bf but feel on the verge of a breakdown. This may well be due to severe sleep deprivation after hourly wake ups for the last 5 months. I'm getting to the point where I'm not sure I can cope- are there drugs they can give when breast feeding? Are there drugs that are helpful for anxiety?

5madthings Sun 16-Apr-17 12:24:42

Yea look at the breastfeeding network there are drugs for anxiety and depression you can take. You may want to take the information with you when you go to the Dr's as not all are clued up on which meds are OK.

Re sleep, my boy is a boob monster and the only way I survive is bed sharing but obviously this doesn't work for everyone. Can we maybe help with some ideas for sleep. Can you get dad to have him just so you can get a couple of hours sleep? Will get a link to bfeeding network for you.

5madthings Sun 16-Apr-17 12:25:38

www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/wp-content/dibm/anxiety%2520and%2520breastfeeding.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwiTj9Px7qjTAhWD1hoKHQPMCngQFggfMAA&usg=AFQjCNG0t00a8Mo9hQb9osIAb_zdrWBaRg&sig2=HFXChxKt8vycEQOf6SEz_w

5madthings Sun 16-Apr-17 12:25:58

www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/drugs-factsheets/&ved=0ahUKEwiTj9Px7qjTAhWD1hoKHQPMCngQFggmMAE&usg=AFQjCNEZ_YU08tpJ0DQPrZAmObkvALLc4A&sig2=DE5sMHwogqrUMrm4EfFriA

DuckWaddle Sun 16-Apr-17 12:28:00

Thank so 5madthings. I'm currently co sleeping with baby in a sleepyhead. He often refuses to go in it though which adds to the fun!
Sadly my dh refuses to even discuss sleep deprivation with me and only gets annoyed. he tried in the early days but got so angry at my ds for not sleeping that it only added to the awfulness!

DuckWaddle Sun 16-Apr-17 12:29:05

Thanks for the links- that's great

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now