Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Reducing citalopram

(4 Posts)
NakedMum33and3rd Sat 15-Apr-17 16:21:17

I've been on 30g citalopram for about a year now and over the past 6 weeks have been slowly reducing to 20mg. I am fully on 20mg and have been for about two weeks. Now I am having terrible pmt not the anxiety kind but the sore breasts and cramps and I'm not due on for 12 days. I usually only get this 5 days or so before I'm due on. Can this be a symptom of the reduced dose? Can it mess with your cycle? Thanks in advance. X

Chrononaut Sat 15-Apr-17 19:02:34

Have you been reducing the amount your taking for any particular reason? I don't think Citalopram has much to do with your cycle though there is the slim chance that it might affect you in particular that way (Though that is a very slim chance.) It's more likely that you're just due on earlier than normal.

NakedMum33and3rd Sat 15-Apr-17 19:20:25

I've been wanting to reduce for a while just because I never saw it as a long term solution for my anxiety. I spoke to the doctor about two months ago and we spoke about slowly reducing first to twenty then eventually to ten and so on. My cycles are pretty spot on and have been since have my DC's so I was a little concerned that it could be pregnancy but that would be neat to impossible.
So far so good with the reduction although I definitely feel my anxiety has raised again, I am dealing with it in a healthier way so far.

Chrononaut Sat 15-Apr-17 19:27:40

There's nothing wrong with staying on medication or coming off it, both are very good options depending on your mental health! I'd say stay on what you're on for now and visit your GP to discuss what might be happening in regards to your PMS and the possibility of pregnancy (It could happen you never know!) Or to rule out anything else if you're usually regular.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now