Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

How did you know your meds needed increasing?

(5 Posts)
DeleteOrDecay Thu 13-Apr-17 21:13:48

Just that really. I've been on sertraline 50mg for about 3/4 months now and apart from a few initial side effects I've felt almost normal again for a while.

For the past couple of weeks i feel like I've been slipping back. I basically hate myself. I've gained a few pounds when I'm actually trying to lose weight which has really upset me, yet I can't seem to cut the crap which causes me to gain weight, I guess it makes me happy. As a result I don't feel good enough for my partner, he assures me I am and that he loves me no matter what. I feel useless and like a burden, I know I don't do enough round the house (sahm) yet I can't seem to force myself to do anything more than the very basics. It doesn't take a lot for my mood to take a nose dive. For example I was supposed to be meeting a friend this weekend but they have cancelled due to illness which of course is perfectly reasonable but I was really looking forward to it and now I'm upset which I feel horrid for because it's not my friends fault they are ill and I should be more compassionate. I have my good days where I feel like I could take on the world and I wonder what makes me so unable to function on the bad days as seemingly nothing has changed from one day to the next. But more often than not Lately I'm left feeling like this. There's so much more but I feel I've rambled on enough now, half of it I wouldn't know how to put it into words anyway.

I am due to make an appointment with my GP soon anyway so I suppose I can discuss it with them. I think after writing this post I may already have my answer but some outside perspective could help.

Chrononaut Sat 15-Apr-17 17:47:12

I think discussing it with your Gp would be a really good idea but another thing to consider is medication only does so much of the donkey work so to speak. I'd say you might need it increasing because you might have a tolerance to it by now, that can happen.

Maybe its worth having a 'bad day' plan. I have BPD with DE so I've made a plan for when I hit the deck emotionally so to speak that puts down all the safety measures i can possibly think of. It's really worth doing even if it doesnt work because you've at least shown to everyone youre doing something to help yourself regardless.

Privateandconfidentialplease Sat 15-Apr-17 18:41:23

Chronoaut, can you get a tolerance to sertraline?

Chrononaut Sat 15-Apr-17 18:57:16

Bear in mind that I'm not a doctor, just someone who has taken a lot of antipsychotics and antidepressants. It is possible but it depends how long you've been taking them. For instance if you've been on them less than 3 months i'd say its not likely but it's best to bring it up with your gp.

Privateandconfidentialplease Sat 15-Apr-17 19:08:16

Thanks chrononaut. I will just take each day as it comes and not worry about something that hasn't happened yet. Good to know though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now