Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Spending addiction

(2 Posts)
OverSpender Wed 12-Apr-17 15:07:52

I have tried posting in Style & Beauty but no joy, so trying here.

I am at my wits’ end as I seem to be totally unable to stop spending on things I don’t need.

I try to stop and have spending bans but will then see something which is ‘just right’.

I’ve tried to be logical with my spending and make lists of items I know I use regularly and would like to re-purchase, or items that I have wanted for a long time – e.g. classic style of shoes ( I don't currently have a plain black pair of court shoes for instance!)

But I will then go shopping and sabotage said list with an impulse purchase. And guess what, I never seem to have those ‘key’ items that I really could use.

Has anyone else successfully overcome this hoarding / spending mentality? It’s taking over my storage, putting my relationships in jeopardy and causing me grief.

I just want to live a non cluttered, organised life. I’ve battled this for about 20 years now and am despairing of every getting myself sorted out.

ZeldaWasMyGransName Wed 12-Apr-17 15:14:09

I think I was probably in the same boat as you a good few years ago. I realised that having all the stuff didn't make me happy, and managed to successfully Marie Kondo to the point where I have a reasonable amount of stuff. It has made me happier.

No advice on how to get to that point, I just realised I didn't want it all and started to get rid. The amount I had shocked me when I realised, and I think that's helped me stop spending, but it's very much a work in progress as I probably still haven't cracked only buying what I need.

Not so helpful I'm afraid, but you aren't alone flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now