Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Wtf is wrong..memory loss

(7 Posts)
CopperBoomCopperBoom Tue 11-Apr-17 21:19:10

Can anxiety cause memory loss? I don't know what is wrong with me. Was diagnosed anxiety and poss depression 6-7 months ago, stopped taking medication a few months ago I think. Symptoms are back in full, now I feel I'm just about existing, drifting from day to day, feel sick and scared, shaking and tearful most of the time. The anxiety is/was work-related and I used to feel ok on days off. Now it's all the time.
I can't remember what I'm doing, what day it is, what I've just done. Time speeds up and slows down. I can;t remember names. I have real trouble writing reports which used to be easy, even emails, I spent most of my day crying. Wtf is going on?
I'm going to have to go back to my dr, but it makes me really stressed. I was seeing things but they seem to have gone. I think about hurting myself. Earlier I was thinking the best thing was probably to end it, but couldn't decide on how. I
I feel like I'm floating, like I'm not reeally here. I don;t know how to describe it. Sometimes it takes me a while to figure out if I'm home or at work - in the middle of the day. I can't make decisions. I might easily be hit by a car, my judgment is gone.
Is this anxiety?

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Tue 11-Apr-17 22:45:57

Is it memory loss or being so disconnected with life you are not taking any notice of what happens around you... so you don't remember anything?

Genuine question. with no prejudice.

sprinklemonkey Tue 11-Apr-17 22:51:18

sounds very much anxiety-induced to me... stress and anxiety can cause all sorts of symptoms. aside from the memory loss what is causing you anxiety / stress and what can you do to remedy your life situation? book a holiday? leave a horrible job? do some fun things for you? see how when you change your situation your anxiety lessens and then hopefully any related memory stuff will drop away... what are the root causes of your anxiety? are you able to address them?

NolongerAnxiousCarer Tue 11-Apr-17 22:56:55

I've experienced what you are describing as part of PTSD. The floating feeling like your not really there is called dissociation. I've read that high levels of the stress hormone cortisol cause the part of your brain that deals with memory to shrink. This apparently is reversible once the stress is reduced. My memory is still very poor I sometimes get half way through a conversation and realise I can't remember the begining and at times thinking is like catching fog.

Go back to your GP and explain what is happening. I was signed off for 3 months and am now on reduced hours and duties to keep my stress load low whilst I recover.

CopperBoomCopperBoom Fri 14-Apr-17 17:59:35

Thank you all. I am still trying to get a gp appointment. Today I couldn't remember how to get in my front door - unusual locking system but not complicated and I do it every day as second nature.
A gp cannot make you be signed off can they? I mean it's up to you if you accept the note and submit it? I really cannot be signed off, it would be the end of my job, and I'm stressing a bit about this.

NolongerAnxiousCarer Fri 14-Apr-17 20:58:56

That feel familiar, I got stuck in our kitchen because I couldn't work out how to get out one evening. That was when I realised that I was really poorly and probaby wasn't safe to be working. In my job a mistake could result in serious harm to someone else, so it really wasn't sensible for me not to get signed off. I don't think they can make you be signed off unless you do something like, pilot, driver, police etc. And even then I'm not sure. But with your mind so befuddled its likely you could make mistakes at work, so it's worth considering which would be worse, making a mistake or being off sick. Its also worth considering that you might not be able to get better without time off work. I did absolutely everything I could think of to stay in work (my boss has said this too) councelling, ADs, occupational health, CPN, GP, meditation, mindfulness, exercise... I was doing all the right things but I didn't start to get better until I took the pressure off and went off sick.

Frazzle76 Fri 14-Apr-17 21:04:47

It sounds anxiety related. I was like this too and actually thought I was going crazy. Not helped by the boss who caused it implying I was going crazy too.
Once said boss was removed from having control over me my memory recovered. It does get better. But I would seriously think about taking some time off. If you have a good gp they will be able phrase a note sensitively if you don't want your sick note to say anxiety or work related stress.
Good luck: keep trying to keep your head above the water. There's lots of people here who've been through the same and will support you xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now