Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Citalopram- Loss of libido - loss of emotion!!

(8 Posts)
unmumsyma Tue 11-Apr-17 12:32:16

Hi, iv'e been taking citalopram for around 3 years, during this time iv'e completely gone off sex, i don't even cry at sad movies anymore i feel like a zombie! has any one else had these effects?

the sex ting is a real issue its really affecting my relationship

HELP

Airmid Tue 11-Apr-17 13:53:06

Yes, I've been taking 40mg per day for about two and half years and experience same as you. Citalopram is a very blunt instrument. I am torn between wanting to stop taking it so I feel some emotion, and worrying that if I do stop I will turn back to the panicky, blubbing unable to cope person that I was before I started to take it.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Tue 11-Apr-17 13:55:20

Yes, this is what it did for me too. It also blunted the depression, the suicidal feelings and stabilised my mood.

I learned how to laugh again after the depression was under control, but it was a strange, dead feeling for a while. It's worth it in the end.

unmumsyma Tue 11-Apr-17 13:56:12

Airmid- its awful isn't it, now to top things of my DP cheated on me due to lack of sex and now i feel like i don't want to stop taking them even more

Airmid Wed 12-Apr-17 19:07:08

Unmumsyma, sorry to hear about your DP. I don't know what's happened to "in sickness and in health" these days and standing by and supporting someone. A good thing about citalopram that I have found is that it's given me the chance to put things in perspective and to reflect on life without all my depressed anxious thoughts getting in the way.

gottachangethename1 Wed 12-Apr-17 22:34:19

Exactly the same for me. I feel so much more stable on it but I have no libido whatsoever. It's causing a strain in my marriage.

PetraDelphiki Wed 12-Apr-17 22:35:02

Snap!

treaclesoda Wed 12-Apr-17 22:39:45

I definitely feel it has dulled my emotions. But frankly that is a small price to pay, and I would far far rather have dulled emotions than the panic and depression than I had before.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now