Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Eating and panic attacks

(11 Posts)
Joto369 Sun 09-Apr-17 06:03:35

I've been reading and posting on here a little while and usually manage to be positive but this morning my anxiety is getting the better of me. I feel in this very odd place where things are going well for me on the one hand. I have just secured a new job where I will no longer need to travel 20 miles and 45 mins each eay to work. I am excited about the job but due to the fact I've been struggling with anxiety following a period of stress I go into what if thinking 'what if I get worse at a new job and then lose the job'. My relationship is getting back on track after a not very good year last year. We have a lovely home slowly getting as we want it inside and out. A great family. Yet I am underneath it all scared. In the past I have struggled with panic about eating. I love food and have no issues with how I look. This happened in 2010 when I was under massive stress and in an unhappy relationship. I managed to sort it out as the stress lessened and I was back to eating normally. This time it's harder. I have had a couple of instances of panic when I eat and now I'm struggling. BUT I can eat and drink pretty much ok through the day it's worse in the evening. What is going on? Even writing it makes no sense! I'm enjoying a cup of tea now but last night I was at a pub, which was busy and loud, watching a band and I started being anxious about drinking my drink. Is it i am just generally anxious and fixing this on something I think I can control? Even as I typed that made some sense! I know i can ask.on here as no one will judge. My weight is fine and I do take in enough calories but this clearly isn't a good way to be!!

Joto369 Sun 09-Apr-17 06:04:59

Thought I'd add in to the mix we had a car accident at Christmas which wasn't nice - ended up on the roof.

SorrelSoup Sun 09-Apr-17 06:42:55

You poor thing! I have anxiety and it's rubbish. Have you gone for cbt? You could contact IAPT. Your accident sounds horrific , that must be triggering things. Also I know when me and dh have come through bad patches I get really anxious. I would seek help.

SorrelSoup Sun 09-Apr-17 06:44:10

I find that I can fix on anything. It's not real. It's anxiety and panic.

Joto369 Sun 09-Apr-17 07:50:08

Thanks Sorrel. I've started CBT but only had one session and now can't go til the end of the month as on holiday next week (sessions are fortnightly). I'm also having counselling but not really mentioned accident. I wonder if I've buried it cos I don't think about it at all. I do know if things feel calmer it's not as bad. I'm in do very tough on myself - must feel better now - which doesnt help.

Joto369 Sun 09-Apr-17 12:15:07

So had a nice walk into town to Wetherspoons and hubby and i ordered a breakfast each. I ate a small amount and then started the stupid what if thoughts but I rode them out and though I didn't finish my food i didnt go mad or lose control! I now feel exhausted but that will pass. Home and eaten some fruit and nut and having a cuppa. I can do this though I know its not going to be easy x

SorrelSoup Sun 09-Apr-17 12:30:45

Well done. I don't have much knowledge but I guess you have to keep telling yourself that it's false and it's anxiety. It's nothing to do with the food. You're just assigning anxiety to the food. Think of the speakmans!

Joto369 Sun 09-Apr-17 12:41:37

Yes but that brings anxiety about awful dyed blonde hair!!!!!! Just kidding 😁😁😁 thank you xx

SorrelSoup Sun 09-Apr-17 12:47:13

But they're loaded!!!! grin

clairethewitch70 Sun 09-Apr-17 12:49:59

What is the anxiety around food? I have a major fear of choking an struggle with liquid the most. It is like I have forgotten how to swallow and I am suffering dehydration symptoms - is this like you?

Joto369 Sun 09-Apr-17 13:05:02

Hi Claire no but I have heard of this and it has an odd name like globus something. Its relsted to anxiety definitely. Mine stems from a panic I had when I swallowed a tablet and then thought shit I don't know how this will make me feel but I can't get it out. Then a few weeks back at lunch same thought but was just eating. Totally and utterly illogical but that's anxiety isn't it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: