Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Post natal depression

(9 Posts)
Jay2o Fri 07-Apr-17 21:45:45

Hi, my health visitor thinks I might have PND & wants me to go to the GP for an assessment. What does this entail? Will they give me medication? Does it work?
I just want to run away from it all especially my partner & work. I already feel sick at the thought of going back to work full time even though I've months off yet but I have no choice as we want to move as my place is tiny & even after the long struggle we had to have him am finding having a baby hasn't made me as happy as I thought it would. My partner has lost his job so Im worried about finances. I totally hate my life right now!

TheBadgersMadeMeDoIt Fri 07-Apr-17 22:05:18

First of all, don't be afraid to go to the GP for advice. Yours is a very, very common situation and you will not be judged. There will be a short assessment to determine whether you do have PND and if so, you'll be offered medication, counselling or a combination of both.

In my case, I opted for medication - mainly because there was a 6 month wait for counselling. And yes, in my case at least, it worked brilliantly. But your GP will talk you through the options to find the best course of action for you. Once you're on the right treatment and it's had a chance to take effect, life will seem much more manageable and you'll find that maternal joy that you were expecting . Don't despair - help is available and good times are coming.

TheBadgersMadeMeDoIt Fri 07-Apr-17 22:10:13

Sorry - should also have mentioned - the assessment is a short questionnaire about how you've been feeling recently. You just get a series of statements that you score according to how they apply to you. The total score will indicate whether you are likely to have depression or anxiety.

catgirl2 Fri 07-Apr-17 22:10:49

I had PND and medication also worked brilliantly for me. It can take a few weeks to take effect though but for me it helped enormously.

Boooooom Fri 07-Apr-17 22:16:06

Here too. I had pnd but 'hid it' till DS was 8 months by which time it was pretty terrible. Counselling (as in one on one) wasnt/isn't offered where I am but medication and CBT was. Medication did help. Hang in there, it's rough but realising you might need a bit of help can be the hardest part and I hope it's not long till you look back at this time from a happier place x

Jay2o Sat 08-Apr-17 09:20:13

Thank you everyone. I feel terrible I hate waking up every day because I can't switch my negative mind off. Feel like such a failure. I'll ring the gp next week. Best wishes to you all x

Jay2o Wed 12-Apr-17 21:52:04

So I've been to the gp and she's given me citalopram 10mg has any one else been on it? Just wondered how you found it. I wasn't offered any counselling is this normal?
I can't imagine medication alone will make everything alright, will it? Be great if it does x

MrsBing0514 Fri 28-Apr-17 16:58:54

Hi
Just wondered how you're getting on with citalopram? I was prescribed it today. Took it this morning and have felt drowsy, dizzy and nauseous. Did you have side effects? How long did they last?

I wasn't offered counselling either but my work offers a counselling service which I'd referred myself to before going to the doctor.

Thanks x

Jay2o Sun 30-Apr-17 08:45:04

Hi MrsBing,
I've been on it for 2 weeks and the nausea and spaced out feeling has passed and I don't feel as anxious as I was before. It has taken the edge off & I feel a lot happier in myself. Persevere with it.
Best wishes x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now