Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

What other med options are there for me please??

(23 Posts)
Purplerainbow Fri 07-Apr-17 15:35:08

I was on on anti depressants for a long time due to an abusive ex. When I left him I wasn't on them anymore and was ok... Iv been on a couple of different ones, I think 3 in total but will struggle to remember the names... the usual ones the doctors give fluoxetine and one I think began with c?

Anyway I don't like how they made me feel especially awful side affects for the first month. Last month gp gave me some proponalol to get me through a bad time but 10 mg 3 x a day.... he said they may make me dizzy/faint. My blood pressure is naturally low and they did make me feel dizzy so I'm not taking them now.

I'm going through a really hard time, one of my dc has special needs and really struggling with him, other dc struggling because of dc1, my family have nothing much to do with us, I don't have many proper friends and am generally feeling pissed off with my situation and really really low.

Are there other sorts of medications available? Without awful side effects? If I go back without researching I know they will just give me what Iv had before and I don't want them.

NolongerAnxiousCarer Fri 07-Apr-17 20:03:42

The tricky thing is that ADs seem to affect different people differently, so what ever anyone else has found with them it might not apply to you.

I've been on Flouxitine which I hardly had any side effects from just a slight motion sickness type feeling in the first 2 weeks. I'm now on Mirtazapine which makes me sleep and I've put on weight, but other people have different experiences of it. Unfortunately it seems to be a case of trial and error.

UnbornMortificado Fri 07-Apr-17 20:16:42

AD's affect everyone in different ways. I've been on most of them this past decade and funnily enough I'm now getting on really well on an old style older one I was put on due to pregnancy.

If it was citalopram you were on there is a new version called escitalopram which seems to work better with fewer side effects.

UnbornMortificado Fri 07-Apr-17 20:18:44

But like noanxious says there's a lot of trial and error, I tried a few combinations before I found the right "fit"

Purplerainbow Fri 07-Apr-17 20:34:34

Yes citalopram I was on. Side effects for the first month were so so bad and I won't be able to cope with being that ill right now and trying to look after the dc and all their probelms on top. What else is there for anxiety? That isn't proponalol that won't affect my already low blood pressure? Valium?

GoodbyeNormal Fri 07-Apr-17 20:41:33

The are other things they might be willing to let you try, like pregabalin or quetiapine or a different type of antidepressant, but you really need to talk about it with the GP as obviously they'll all have their own set of side effects.

I have low blood pressure too; it is really annoying when you just want some anxiety relief and you end up fainting everywhere 😂

Long-term, valium isn't good. Has anyone talked about therapy/IAPT with you?

Purplerainbow Fri 07-Apr-17 20:52:46

I'm not sure what IAPT is but Iv had cbt and I'm still in therapy...

Purplerainbow Fri 07-Apr-17 20:53:12

I will be getting gp appointment when the kids go back to school I just want to know what is out there before going?

GoodbyeNormal Fri 07-Apr-17 20:54:54

IAPT = Improving Access To Psychological Therapies - it's primary care counselling/therapy for people who don't need to be under mental health services but could benefit from some help.

I get what you mean.

UnbornMortificado Sat 08-Apr-17 10:45:15

Valium/diazepam is dangerous. I ended up with a massive addiction and nearly died through taking it (I was prescribed it didn't get it off the street)

My GP has always gave me other meds to combat the side effects going on a new drug. Better painkillers and anti-nausea tablets mostly, not ideal but for the sake of three weeks.

Purplerainbow Sat 08-Apr-17 14:40:54

They know how bad the side affects are for me though and just said grin and bear it? But I couldn't cope with that for a month just now. Couldn't cope with being physically ill with every thing else?

UnbornMortificado Sat 08-Apr-17 19:25:23

I'd see a different Dr and ask them, I sympathise starting them is tough. I don't know the guidelines on drugs for the side effect but my GP and the locum have always been happy to prescribe short term. I think I had tramadol for horrible pains in my legs and Cyclizine for the nausea.

I've just asked DH he says he had painkillers when changing antipsychotics so it can't be that unusual a practice.

The only one I've gone onto with no issue was amitripiline (sp) I know it's already been said that everyone reacts differently but it might be worth an ask. I've been stable since last February, the longest since I was 16 (I'm 28)

Purplerainbow Sat 08-Apr-17 19:28:47

I'm allergic to cyclizine.. nearly killed me in hospital once maybe that's why they don't offer anti sickness?

It's the dizzyness, the nausea, the room spinning etc that I can't cope with esp looking after the kids on my own. Ds1 has special needs that have their own problems at the moment

Wantingtomoveon Sat 08-Apr-17 19:40:11

If you don't mind me asking or suggesting, is there anyway you could build bridges with your family?

Purplerainbow Sat 08-Apr-17 19:41:51

No wanting they aren't interested and Iv had enough of it all being me making the effort and me and my dc not being good enough for them.

UnbornMortificado Sat 08-Apr-17 19:58:48

Purple funnily enough I had a bad reaction a month back. Been on it fine in the past but my hands seized up, they think it was down to hormones (I'm pg)

There's a load of other options, that aren't in the cyclizine family.

UnbornMortificado Sat 08-Apr-17 20:18:34

What about school mams or neighbours?

I've took one of DD's friends and two siblings for a weekend when her mam took ill.

Wantingtomoveon Sat 08-Apr-17 20:20:50

That's very sad purple. How about cousins or exs parents?

WittgensteinsCat Sat 08-Apr-17 20:48:26

I've tried both Citalopram and Sertraline, but only very short-term, as they both gave me the squits. Which obviously didn't help. Apparently there are serotonin receptors in the gut so meds that might have improved my "brain mood" ended up stimulating my guts. (Or so I believe.)

I gave up on meds, but on reading threads here I got my vitamin D levels checked and since then have self-medicated on vit D supplements and did feel better. Could quite well be a placebo effect, though, so I don't recommend that. But just have in the back of your mind that sometimes low levels of anything, such as iron, thyroid, whatever, can make it just that bit more challenging for your body to deal with when you've such a lot on your plate.

More recently, I was experiencing a lot of anxiety and I talked with my GP during a review of my high blood pressure meds. I asked for something I could take on a temporary basis, given that anxiety takes a heck of a lot of energy which would be better used for the things that would have a positive effect. He gave a prescription for 28 days of Mirtazapine at the lowest dose.

I delayed filling that prescription but coming up was something that would definitely trigger my anxiety even further so started taking it about 2 weeks before. I've been taking it for 3 weeks now - that might not be long enough to really show any side effects, but I haven't seen any so far, not even an increase in appetite. I'm aiming to stop them now, to see if I've managed to get on an even keel. If not, I'll ask to go back on them longer term.

That's long: But, as everyone else has already said, different meds suit different people. And unfortunately it is a trial-and-error thing.

Purplerainbow Sat 08-Apr-17 21:01:51

Neighbours are mostly old people and my exs family have nothing to do with us. They don't believe my ex was abusive so I won't allow them near my dc now as they are just as bad. Horrible people. They are miles away anyway. I don't have any cousins nearby and we don't know each other as we don't see each other. Iv never got close to anyone at school, for some reason they don't really like me.... one mum I see sometimes has her own crap with her own son and one other also has troubles with hers that are similar so they aren't in a position to help me but we solvent now and then.

I also don't want to risk putting on any weight as Iv just lost a little bit and for the first time since having the dc I'm happy with my body? But again.... a risk.... but this is why I don't want anything permanent like anti d's. I have an awful few months ahead of me for various reasons that I don't much control over, I want something to help me keep my head above water?

UnbornMortificado Sat 08-Apr-17 21:05:51

It must be hard with no family help, I rely on mine a canny bit.

I would go back Monday see a different doctor and explain about your DC and the rough few months coming up.

I'm sorry your having a hard time flowers

Purplerainbow Sun 09-Apr-17 06:48:25

It's unbelievably hard with no family. They don't care about us and I don't understand it. That's not me nor my personality, I would do anything to help anyone do it hurts even more you know?

UnbornMortificado Sun 09-Apr-17 16:48:18

It sounds tough, unfortunately we can't pick out family.

Having some local support in place would probably be beneficial. If your DC are still young the local surestart centre ( if your area has one ) might be a good start.

Or if your DC are older clubs like brownies and rainbows have events on where you meet other parents.

I don't think the MN local pages get used too often which is a shame.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now