Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Hand hold please - anxiety attack this morning

(7 Posts)
Teaandbiscuits88 Tue 04-Apr-17 09:33:35

Hi everyone

Sorry if this all comes out a bit jumbled. I can't think straight at the moment.

I have OCD, health anxiety and panic disorder. I'm on sertraline with a very mild dose of diazepam there if I need to take it (I very rarely take these). I'm having weekly CBT meetings with a lovely therapist.

So this morning I stupidly googled the pain I have in my tailbone. Saw the word 'cancer' and immediately panicked. I lost all sense of logic. Within minutes I was down on the floor having a panic attack. Fortunately my husband was home and able to talk me through it but it was the worst one I've had in several years. I was shaking, sweating, numb, tingling, dizzy and nauseous. I genuinely thought I was dying and unlike during other more recent episodes, I couldn't tell myself it was just anxiety and I couldn't listen to my husband.

Obviously it did pass after a little while but now I'm filled with dread about it happening again. Ive taken 2mg of diazepam to try and get my anxiety back under control but I feel like such a failure. I really felt like I was back on the right track and now I'm letting my family down. I know I'm not really, but that's what my brain is telling me.

My mum and sisters are coming down to spend the day with me as I have a four month old baby and could use the company.

I'm just so frustrated and drained. The diazepam has made everything a bit foggy but hasn't helped massively.

Not really much point to this post, just wanted a self pitying moan. I just feel so down.

Joto369 Tue 04-Apr-17 10:01:00

Firstly have a huge hug flowers secondly you are not a failure. That's how I feel after a panic (Had one last night) but that's just another negative thought. Setbacks are crap - I've just had two great weeks then with a little help from my hormones I've had a setback. And 3am this morning I felt just like you but it will slowly pass xx

Tweedledee3Tweedledum Wed 05-Apr-17 20:07:01

I hope you feel better today flowers

Teaandbiscuits88 Mon 10-Apr-17 19:15:20

I'm really late returning to this thread but I just wanted to say thank you to you both. I did read the comments at the time and they helped give me some comfort.

I've seen my therapist since this and discussed what happened and I'm feeling much more positive this week.

Thanks again xx

Honeyandfizz Mon 10-Apr-17 19:21:31

I have issues with anxiety mainly around travelling. Last year whilst on holiday and feeling particularly bad I read a book by Joshua Fletcher called: anxiety panicking about panic. It's helped me enormously, I learnt that panic is just a ton of adrenaline being dumped, that it will not kill you, that it will pass, that it is JUST anxiety nothing worse. If ever I feel it descending I tell myself it's just anxiety over and over and it passes. It's worth a read x

Joto369 Mon 10-Apr-17 19:42:04

Glad you're feeling better teaandbiscuits! Honey that sounds like a good book and a really simple way of describing it. Goinv to look it up on eBay or Amazon x

Teaandbiscuits88 Mon 10-Apr-17 20:15:01

Thanks Honey - I too am going to have a look for that book! I'm reading a mindfulness one at the moment (finding peace in a franthc world I think it's called) which is really good but I'm always on the lookout for new stuff!

And thanks Jo smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now