Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

run out of meds

(18 Posts)
Bleurghghghgh Sun 02-Apr-17 00:30:25

Hi,

I'm on citalopram 30mg. Just went to take my tabs and realised I'm out. Totally out.

I can call the doctor/pharmacy on Monday but the quickest they can give me is 3 days.

I'm freaking out. I get brain zaps, severe tiredness and suicidal thoughts if I miss one day of these.

I know it's my own fault for not keeping track but I need help. Please help me

AntiHop Sun 02-Apr-17 00:32:26

Go to your pharmacy on Monday and they should be able to give you an emergency supply.

Bleurghghghgh Sun 02-Apr-17 00:38:16

I need them tomorrow. I'm already feeling the fog taking over

NolongerAnxiousCarer Sun 02-Apr-17 00:40:42

Not sure about tomorrow, but if you call your GP surgery Monday morning they should be able to sort an urgent prescription out on Mon.

Bleurghghghgh Sun 02-Apr-17 00:41:39

I've called 111. They're having someone from crisis call me back as soon as they can.

I can't last until Monday. The thoughts are already creeping in

Bleurghghghgh Sun 02-Apr-17 00:44:16

Also I've had to use myGP surgery for a prescription in these circus before and they were useless. 3 days they said

Bleurghghghgh Sun 02-Apr-17 00:44:32

I CANT DEAL WITH THIS

dalmatianmad Sun 02-Apr-17 00:53:58

Is there a walk in centre you can access tomorrow? Otherwise you will have to wait until Monday. This is deffo not something you can go to ED with.

Keep calm, you won't feel the effects yet, your anxieties are kicking in, get yourself in bed and deal with it tomorrow/Monday

greenmelon Sun 02-Apr-17 00:56:10

If you're feeling like this so soon you're either on the wrong meds or wrong dose to begin with.

Walk in won't help as they need your full history and won't have that.

Has your GP not been monitoring you and asking you back for regular check ups?

esk1mo Sun 02-Apr-17 01:09:03

if there is a pharmacy near you open tomorrow eg. Boots then go there with your empty box and ask them for an emergency supply. at least thats how it works
in Scotland.

you'll be ok. ive missed a dose or two before and it doesnt do any harm, although it can be a bit panicky and worrying.

furlinedsheepskinjacket Sun 02-Apr-17 01:12:46

go to boots tomorrow

they will help.i've run out before and they let you have a tablet.

Bleurghghghgh Sun 02-Apr-17 01:19:20

I've spoken to an OOO GP through 11 who has got me a script for tomorrow.

I know I shouldn't be feeling like this so soon but it doesn't help right now

slightlydomesticated Sun 02-Apr-17 01:21:20

If your local pharmacy (where you would normally get your medicines from) is open tomorrow, take the empty box, explain the situation and ask for an emergency supply (this would normally be between one and seven days to give enough time to get a prescription sorted.) It is at the discretion of the pharmacist in charge as to how much they would be willing to give you. If your normal pharmacy isn't open tomorrow could you get to a walk in centre?

Clonakilty Sun 02-Apr-17 01:21:28

I'm surprised that Citalopram has withdrawal symptoms as severe as that, but I accept that different people respond differently to medication so I accept what you say. I was as you are last week when I ran out of Venlafaxine- that is very well-known for the most horrendous brain zaps, nausea, dizziness and fainting. I had all of those and if that's how you are feeling right now, I send huge sympathy because I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
You need to be seen urgently - even 2 days medication would help. There must be an emergency clinic or doctor available locally. In my area I have walk-in clinics and there is one attached to the hospital as well. On Monday you need to get seen by your GP. I had to queue up an hour before the surgery opened to make sure I was seen as an emergency.
I am really sorry for you and I hope that you get seen. I wish there was more I could say. X

Bleurghghghgh Sun 02-Apr-17 01:33:00

Thank you clona I've got an emergency prescription send through via 111 so should be ok tomorrow. I'm two days without the citalopram and honestly it's my own mind making it worse than it is. Brain zaps I get anyway but the heightened paranoia and anxiety I think comes from my own head. And I've not been doing well recently anyway.

Now I just need to drag myself to the pharmacist tomorrow

Amira90 Sun 02-Apr-17 01:46:40

Its a horrible feeling. I have run out of Citalopram in the past and you're right, I think it was more my mind stressing than actual withdrawal effects. I once got my DP to travel an hour at 3am to get my prescription when I was in a bad way.

I'm glad they sorted your prescription for tomorrow. Chat on here tonight if it helps get you through. X

rightsofwomen Sun 02-Apr-17 02:30:44

I'm a bit confused as to how many days you've missed. Just today (Saturday) or two days (which you state in later post).
If two days then I can totally see side effects coming already.
I am an a much lower dose and after 48hrs of skipping (when I thought I could just self-wean...ha ha) I was feeling sick and dizzy and really out of sorts.

I am glad you have been able to take control and sort things out - that's a good sign I think.

rightsofwomen Sun 02-Apr-17 02:33:28

I was able to skip the 3 day repeat prescription wait when I told my GP pharmacists what I needed.
It happens.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now