Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Advice on how to help my brother?

(2 Posts)
ElectricMelon Thu 30-Mar-17 21:16:35

My brother has Schizophrenia. He has had one breakdown/psychotic episode in his whole life and he was sectioned in various facilities for about 4 months. For the past ten years he has been taking medication and it has been controlling his symptoms.

Our mum passed away in October and since then he has been slowly showing signs of another episode. I don't live with him so I can't see what is happening day to day and my dad is very ignorant when it comes to stuff like this so he doesn't tell me anything. When I do see him I feel like he is displaying some of the signs of a breakdown.

He phoned me today to ask if he could live with me and Dd as our dad was telling him he was going mad again and will end up sectioned. This is obviously making my brother panic and is not helping him at all. He needs support not to be told off for something he can't help! My dad won't listen though.

I can't have him living here if he is getting ill again as I would be scared in case something happened to Dd as he gets these paranoid delusions. Last time he set traps around the house and told us he had to kill my dad because he was the devil. He would shout out of his window and play his music full blast to drown out the thoughts. He also accused us of poisoning him and stopped eating. He told people we were vampires and would take turns on a night to cut him open and drink his blood. I don't want Dd exposed to that and she is my priority. Plus I live in a very small two bedroom house and don't have the room for him.

I just don't know what to do. He doesn't have a team that helps him anymore so I can't contact them as I have no info for them.

Do I contact his GP or some other service?

Last time we didn't know he was ill before it escalated and I had to call an ambulance and the police. I don't want it to get to that point and cause him any more stress.

Can anyone offer any advice?

NolongerAnxiousCarer Thu 30-Mar-17 23:10:28


I support my DH who suffers episodes of psychosis. Unfortunately we know the stress of the police detention all too well, even with a fantastic support team. Your DB has done so well to stay stable for so long.

Contacting his GP sounds like a good idea. Another avenue is for his nearest relative (I imagine this is your Dad now) to request mental health act assessment from his local CMHT. There are some example letters for this on the Mind website. This doesn't automatically mean that he will be sectioned, just that he will get a propper assessment. They will treat him at home if possible and if that is what he wants. Nearest relative is a legal term and gives that person rights and responsibilities regarding his MH care. He can apply to change his nearest relative if he doesnt want your Dad to have this role. I think the Mind website has more details about this.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: